PDA

View Full Version : Bst, Gmt, Pmt ......???

Anthony Carn
24th Oct 2002, 09:38
No, not a song title.......though.....hey yeah ! man it rocks ! Try it !

Anyway, back on planet earth, which I visit occasionally (in my good moments) we are about to change the clocks by one hour.....at least in the UK bit of it we are. Don't for f***s sake ask me which way ! Come to think of it, been having trouble with "which way" all my life (joke, joke, only a joke !).

Who invented this madness ???
Wot's his/her address ???

GRRRR !! :mad: :mad: :mad:

tony draper
24th Oct 2002, 09:55
Easy way to remember, in the Spring the clocks spring forward one hour, in the Fall they fall back one. ;)

Tuba Mirum
24th Oct 2002, 13:13
Not only in UK, but also in the rest of the EU, in USA, Canada, Mexico... lots of places.

And just to make it more fun, the Aussies are changing the other way!

Seriously though, there are good reasons for it. Years ago, no doubt people would have got up with the dawn and gone to bed some time after nightfall, never mind what the clock said. We've made ourselves a world in which we're slaves of the clock: and when the consequences of that get to be too silly (the classic example is schoolchildren in Scotland going to school in the dark) we have to adjust the clock.

Given a choice between going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark, I choose coming home every time. And in summer I have this objection to being woken up by the sun at half-past three.

Mr_Grubby
24th Oct 2002, 13:25
Was it not introduced at the start of WW 1 to give farmers more working hours of daylight so they could produce more food for the war effort ? Also munition workers would spend more time in the factories.

Also remember double time when the clocks moved by two hours ? A few years back now. It didn't last long though.

Mr G.
:)

FlyingForFun
24th Oct 2002, 14:31
Why is it that whenever people talk about stopping this madness, they always suggest that we should stick with BST?

I can only speak for myself, but in winter, when I go to bed, it's going to be dark whether we're on GMT or BST. But there's nothing worse than waking up when it's pitch black - which is exactly what would happen if we scrapped GMT!

Let's forget about BST, put the clocks back to GMT for the winter, then keep them there.

FFF
-------------

Anthony Carn
24th Oct 2002, 19:46
Agree FFF, this was my original point; Whatever we decide, lets leave it alone from then onwards.....for ever, not keep faffing around with it every six months ! :mad:

Just imagine the Druids..........

" OK you lot, lets get these boulders moved fifteen degrees ! "

As to which direction the boulders would have to move....... :confused:

stagger
24th Oct 2002, 21:36
I've never understood the farming reasons for having the clocks go back 1 hour in winter. How does it give farmers more daylight to work with? The number of hours of daylight aren't affected - they just start and finish earlier.

Why don't they just get up later? I mean it's not as if the crops or cows can tell the time???:confused:

lanciaspezzata
24th Oct 2002, 21:56
Right, Stagger,

The crops and cows can't tell the time but unfortunately the people who come and collect said crops, cow crops etc can tell the time and are forced to operate by it.

All of the markets also operate via Rolex as do eventual crop sellers and buyers.

Flash2001
24th Oct 2002, 22:23
The invention of daylight saving time is attributed to a Pueblo Indian chief.

Legend has it that the size of the blanket on which the chief sat was proportional to his social position.

One day it became apparent to one such chief that his blanket was insufficiently large for a man of his stature so he had one of his wives cut a few feet off the blanket behind him and sew it on the front. A nearby white man saw this and presto, daylight saving time.

athene
24th Oct 2002, 23:07
so sorry guys, it was a distant member of my family who introduced daylight saving in Britain. If its any consolation though I am on nightshift Saturday night and so have to work the extra hour :(

ORAC
25th Oct 2002, 01:25
It was the bl**dy Yanks and Germans again!! :D

The idea of daylight saving was first conceived by Benjamin Franklin (portrait at right) during his sojourn as an American delegate in Paris in 1784, in an tongue in cheek letter he wrote to the Journal of Paris titled "An Economical Project (http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/franklin3.html)."

Some of Franklin's friends, inventors of the oil lamp, were so taken by the scheme that they continued corresponding with Franklin even after he returned to America.

The idea was first advocated seriously by a London builder, William Willett (1857-1915), in the pamphlet "Waste of Daylight" (1907) that proposed advancing clocks 20 minutes on each of four Sundays in April, and retarding them by the same amount on four Sundays in September.

Twelve months after Willett began to advocate daylight saving (he spent a fortune lobbying), he attracted the attention of the authorities and Mr. Pearce, later Sir Robert Pearce, introduced a Bill in the House of Commons to make it compulsory to adjust the clocks. The bill was drafted in 1909 and introduced in Parliament several times, but it met with ridicule and opposition, especially from farming interests. Generally lampooned at the time, Willett died on March 4, 1915.

During World War I, in an effort to conserve fuel needed to produce electric power, Germany and Austria began saving daylight at 11 p.m. on the 30th of April, 1916, by advancing the hands of the clock one hour until the following October. This action was immediately followed by other countries in Europe (Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Italy, France and Portugal). Britain immediately decided to follow suit and, on May 17, 1916, an Act was passed and the scheme was put in operation on the following Sunday, May 21.

Double Summer Time was first introduced during World War II, when clocks were put two hours ahead of GMT during the Summer, with clocks remained one hour ahead of GMT throughout the winter.

Sliding member
25th Oct 2002, 02:35
The Scots don't help, they want two hours fwd, well if they want they can but not me, stick to gmt. Why not make a day 8hrs in winter then we don't need be concerned by darkness. I suppose it gives the goverment something else to waste their time on..

Brakes...beer
25th Oct 2002, 15:51
OK, I'm always puzzled by this:

In spring we put the clocks forward one hour on the last sunday in March, ie around the vernal equinox. Why, then, do we wait until the last sunday in October (one month after the autumnal equinox) to put them back again?

Is this something to do with aphelions and perihelions that I'm too lazy to work out myself? Or is it for an entirely different reason?

brockenspectre
25th Oct 2002, 16:01
since the world that changes clocks for "summer time" is now so industrialised, with lights running indoors all the time (in office blocks anway) it seems pointless ... I think UK should stay with GMT and we should all just live with how it is. Folks on shifts (of all kinds) requiring them, depending on their commute, to get up at all hours don't benefit...kids don't walk any more, so moms driving can do so in day/night to/from school, so .. whats the point? why not start a campaign to abolish this out-dated concept?

:D

Uncle Cracker
29th Oct 2002, 22:59
Brocks - damn right!

Captain Stable
29th Oct 2002, 23:14
Starting to read Flash's reply started me thinking about the Indian (Native American to our colonial cousins) who reckoned that one of his wives was worth far more than the other two, so awarded her the privilege of sleeping under a much-prized hippopotamus blanket instead of yer bog-standard bison. So the squaw on the hippopotamus is equal to the squaws on the other two hides! :D