PDA

View Full Version : converting to a jaa licence

jazzy
24th Oct 2002, 04:36
would anyone know if there are flying schools in Australia that do conversions from Australian licences to JAA licences or even a website would help. Thanks in advance.:cool: :cool:

redsnail
24th Oct 2002, 12:53
As far as I am aware no schools in Australia do JAA licenses. I think there's a section in the CAA's website that lists JAR approved schools.

Fly Stimulator
25th Oct 2002, 09:30
The UK CAA list of approved flight schools is here (http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/licensing/fcl/document.asp?groupid=192)

There aren't any listed in Australia, though there are several in the States and one in South Africa.

These are just schools approved by the UK CAA. Other JAA countries will have their own equivalents I assume.

VRB03KT CAVOK
26th Oct 2002, 02:06
JAA have recently made life a little easier...

To convert an instrument rating these days you only have to fly 15 hours instead of 50 hours. That'll save you about $30,000.

Don'y forget you'll have to do the JAA ATPLs though...

Good luck!

Rate1
1st Nov 2002, 11:18
Hi jazzy,
Have a mate who is going to do his JAA licence in Florida USA.
While he is there he will do his FAA ATP. I believe all that is required to make the JAA licence legal is a requirement to do the IRT in the UK. Whole deal works out very cheap compared to doing it all the UK. I think the school in Florida is an off shoot of Atlantic aviation in the UK. They can do all exams and flying training. The school is also hooked up with Regional Airline ComAir. They can offer instructing work, CRJ F/O time and help with employment in Europe after you have your JAA licence. Also as C-air are part of the Delta network you get ID discount travel on all Delta routes. Sounds to good to be true. This is how the CFI of the school told it to my mate. Will try and get a contact number and e-mail address if you like.:)

jazzy
1st Nov 2002, 11:29
Hi Rate1, That would be really appreciated if you would be able to get me some contact details. Thanks alot.

Rate1
14th Nov 2002, 11:42
Hi guys

Sorry about the delay.
All the info is at www.comairacadamy.com/sections/international_students.html

ThreeGreen
19th Nov 2002, 15:35
Hi Guys

As an Australian citizen living in the US I should tell you that the only way you will be employed by Comair as an RJ FO is if you have the legal right to work in the US (ie Green Card). Be careful what the Comair Academy marketing people tell you.

Good Luck

Rich-Fine-Green
19th Nov 2002, 19:48
Three Greens is right.

Aviation is the same all over, sales will tell you what you want to hear (Visas?, you don't need to worry 'bout Visas).

A lot of people from this region have been ripped off over the years. By ripped off I mean they get what they paid for which was the training but not the magical, mythical job at the end as promised.

Remember, if it was that easy, everyone would be doing it instead of slogging away building experiance locally.

Good Luck

A few have paid big $$ for another option which is paying for co-pilot time in anything from a Night Fr. Metro to a 737.

Some of these options are US$ 30,000!

Not sure if this is the way to go - comments anyone?. Has anyone paid for heavy time and got a job as a result?