PDA

View Full Version : Ab initio to ATPL - What will the reality be?

E-Fizz
14th Mar 2001, 20:05
Hi all!
This is my first post to these boards and I must say that this site is a credit to its creators.

I am like many others out there, still the lower side of 35, no commitments, home-owner, job and bored! I worked in the aeropspace industry and have minimal flying experience but am now looking to chase my dream of flying for reward. I have researched tirelessly over the past few weeks and note that at present it appears to be the best and worst time to try for this career! I am not fortunate enough to be able to finance the training myself and will have to approach the bank for help. HSBC seem to be quite helpful these days but there is always that burning question: will I be employable in any way, shape or form once I have the CPL/IR with 180 hours? In no uncertain terms I will have to be in order to pay of the huge loan that I am going to commit to! Is anybody out there looking at going this route and has anyone had a chat with their bank recently? If so what was their response? I spoke to a chap from Multiflight a few days ago and he seemed to be quite blase about the whole thing, intimating that employment straight from school was quite possible. Even though on paper it may well be, what is the reality?

This is not to say that I am thinking negatively before even climbing into the seat; merely looking for thoughts ...

[This message has been edited by E-Fizz (edited 14 March 2001).]

Harves
14th Mar 2001, 21:12
Hi - you are not alone!!

I also have a mortgage and responsibilities and have the same subsequent worries. I decided that I would go for broke quite literally and do an integrated course, probably with BAe in Jerez or possibly OATS.

I feel that this possibly increases the chances of an earlier route into the airlines, but I am not kidding myself that I am even likely to get a sniff until at least 700 hours. I would not be doing this if I didn't think that somehow, I would gain the required hours to make a decent career. I love flying, but needs must. I am told that there is pleanty of work out there, but be prepared to be continually broke and fly what and when you can. I personally plan to go for instructor rating as earlier as I can. I am not the expert in this area though so will leave it to others.

Talking of which..loans. I have come across 2 options:

1. Career Development Loans. £8K max -Clysedale well known for them. Government pay interest for term of course plus a holiday period.

2. I saw HSBC Saturday. Push this with the branches as a lot of the staff are not aware that the Professional Development Loans they offer apply to pilot training.
I was offered over £15,000 with my house as security. I took £14,500 without but they insisted that I closed my own account and took out their life cover. By the way this interest is defered not paid by the Government

Was not too chuffed about being told that I had to close my own account so went to my bank LLoyds, to see if they did similar. They do but only for courses in this country and I had accepted BAe in Jerez. You will need proof that you have been accepted onto a course. I don't know if this presents difficulties for modular students.

Anyway, I wish you luck. Any questions make a posting or drop me a mail.

[This message has been edited by Harves (edited 14 March 2001).]