PDA

View Full Version : GPS v Palm Pilot

marshall
23rd Oct 2002, 10:27
Got a quick question for people in the know.

Looking at buying a GPS but was advised that a palm pilot would be a better investment.

Heard that the price might be around the same but the palm pilot had "extra" features. :confused:

Any good websites or information would be good.

Thanks in advance ;)

Mainframe
23rd Oct 2002, 12:19
Marshal, yep, you've been given the good oil. A palm with plug in GPS receiver sitting on top with a special software package by Control Vision called "Anywhere Map" is probably more feature rich than the Garmin 196/296 colour handheld, try their website Controlvision (www.controlvision.com) for what they offer based on a Compaq Ipac pocket PC. I think the same is available for a "Palm" pocket pc also. I've seen it and it's impressive.

ITCZ
24th Oct 2002, 10:13
Don't forget though that most Palms or Pocket PC devices were designed to live in a 'pencil pusher's' shirt pocket, and not be knocked around as much as an aviation GPS unit.

I take it that you want something portable for a light single or twin.

I used a Garmin 92 for years that was really knocked about in Top End charter use, despite my efforts to look after it. I would be surprised if my Palm could take as many knocks as the Garmin did. Eg leaving the thing inside a locked up aeroplane in 40 deg heat for an hour or two would just about melt the screen, and accidentally poking it with the ceremonial spears you are trying to load in the cabin, etc, etc.

That all said, the combination of a fully programmable device with GPS input would have to be a powerful combination provided you put the time in to understanding how to use it.

Just my 2c worth