PDA

View Full Version : Newcastle - Sydney Beaver service - is it running again?

BrianG
23rd Oct 2002, 01:50
Yesterday afternoon I looked out my office window and saw one of the (ex-?) Sydney Harbour Seaplanes Beavers in Newcastle Harbour? Does this mean a Newcastle-Sydney service is now or will shortly be provided and, if so, will the service include the Amphib Caravan that was sighted in Newcastle Harbour earlier this year? Any one know anything about this?

Captain Nomad
23rd Oct 2002, 02:19
Brian G,

To my knowledge the amphib caravan is Sydney based (haven't heard it on the radio recently in the Newcastle area). I believe the Beaver is also Sydney based but also haven't heard it running a regular service to Newcastle. I know the Beaver travels to Cottage point on the Hawkesbury frequently however.

AN2002
23rd Oct 2002, 10:43
I'd love it if there was a Seaplane service!

oldhasbeen
23rd Oct 2002, 23:21
I'd love it if there was BEAVER service!:D

MoFo
24th Oct 2002, 04:42
Yep. Caught my eye. I thought it was another sort of beaver service.

BrianG
24th Oct 2002, 06:06
I am sure the seaplane service will be well patrionised if oldhasbeen desire is fufilled! Thanks for your comments Nomad

429 CJ
24th Oct 2002, 11:36
Capt. Nomad, how much time have/do you spend at Cottage Point? KMYC? :D

Okies, The Beaver you guys refer to...... it isn't the dark blue stretched DHC-2 on amphibs operated by a well respected ex-Darwin identity?

If not, might you have caught the rego VH-AQ? The aircraft (the one I'm referring to) was one of the fleet operated by Sydney Harbour Seaplanes, when there was an RPT run from Rose Bay to Newcastle wharf every weekday back in the nineties, and much charter to "lunchy" sort of places such as Cottage Point, Berowra, Pete's Bight etc, etc. After the tower came crashing down around him, our hero was reluctant to give-up the fight, so he carried-on regardless, no AOC or not......... Whoops, busted by CASA!

It is sad that a legacy of the Late Vic Walton ended that way after the "family" split.

Can anyone clear-up for me if it was Victor that went to Hammo (recent accident a/c?), and is it Uniform or Alpha that is still tied-up at Muskoka (and making the odd cameo appearance)? I'm just a tad removed from SY at the moment (OK, rather a long way removed), and love nothing better than a glassy water landing. Missing it terribly!

Ahhh, for the days of radial power, the snorting, backfiring and raw noise combining three of my passions - flying, boating and bluddy big engines! :D

Pseudonymn
27th Oct 2002, 08:43
429 CJ,

All this weekend at Cottage Point, there were two Beavers running in and out of the Restaurant. One was definately AQU, but I wasn't able to pick up the rego of the other one today. Both are still painted in their "Old" company livery.
One of them (AQU ?) has silver undersides to the floats, but the other one had blue under the floats. I don't know if that will help you determine which one went north or not.

Pseudo :)

BrianG
29th Oct 2002, 20:08
I was informed over the weekend by a reliable source that the Newcastle - Syd-e-ney "service" is charter only, which explains the lack of frequency etc. Bummer.