PDA

View Full Version : Qualifications and age requirements.

Dave Sumner
14th Mar 2001, 15:53
Hello everybody!!! Can anybody tell me how old is too old to gain a sponsorship by an airline? Also, if I have 5 GCSE's, no A-levels, but an Open University degree in French, what are my chances of gaining a sponsorship at 23/24 years old?
Thanks to everyone that can give me any advice!!!
Dave.

GJB
14th Mar 2001, 16:26
Dave

There is only 1 way to find out- apply!

Crashlanding
14th Mar 2001, 17:34
Your certainly not to old.

Im 24 and have got a sponsership place.

I have terrible A-levels but do have a BEng Hons in Electronics and Computing.

The only difficulty I see you might have is the qualifications. They normaly like you to have a math/science kind of background. Also depends on which schemes your after. I would say yours chances with BA would be very slim. What would help is having a class 1 medical and some flying time behind you.

------------------
The approach looked good, the landing was F****** awful.

Sagey
14th Mar 2001, 21:33
This might be just my thoughts and you all probs disagree but anyway

If you meet any sponsorship qualification requirements, and complete the form competently, then you will get through that first paper shift.

Once at the apptitude test and interview stages then it is for the airline to pick whom they feel would make the best pilots/cadets, regardless of academic qualifications(as long as they meet their requirements). I am one that believes that qualifications are only important to get you through that first paper shift, and then it is up to you to perform to the best of your ability.

Lets be realistic, qualifications matter to give you that first foot in the door and to prove that you can complete and suceed in an academic environment. They are not everything, especially in this field. A passion to fly and meet your ambition IMO is worth just as much.(if u meet the minimum(and not calculus mathematical people<g> ) criteria

Sagey

G-WHISKY
14th Mar 2001, 22:57
Dave

Most of the airline sponsorship schemes that are advertised specify a max age of 28, so you've got some time to go through the application process a few times.