PDA

View Full Version : Java Script Problem/Error/ Help

Tinker
22nd Oct 2002, 18:27
Hi all,

I've just set up an internet connection on the neighbours old steam driven 486, (win95/Netscape 4.0) sucsessfuly but...... on certain pages I get an error thrown up by Netscape. An example of which being

http://www.microsoft.com
line 88:
this . style has no properties

The pc hasn't been used since nineteen hundred and frozen to death and therefore no software has been updated for several years.
I had a quick try at updating Netscape but the download time looked like it would be around the 2 1/2 hr mark and as I was unsure this would solve the problem I was reluctant to tie up his phone line for that period of time and rack up his phone bill (albeit at 1p per min).

Has anyone got a solution? If it is a case of downloading the latest version of netscape then thats what we will do, although it would be preferable to find a CD with the latest version if that's possible ??

It looks like internet explorer has been uninstalled but we are willing to try that route if it is easier/quicker. The ultimate aim is to set up the pc so that it can provide trouble free (even if that means slow) surfing.

Thanks in advance for your advice

T

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
22nd Oct 2002, 19:33
Since you will almost certainly be able to guess what I'm going to suggest, I won't bother :D

PaperTiger
22nd Oct 2002, 19:33
Try Edit, Preferences, click on Advanced and uncheck 'Enable Style Sheets'.

Older versions of Exploder and Netscrap implemented style sheets differently (hardly at all in the case of NS4). Should not affect the functionality too badly, just the appearance. But any sites using those fancy layered menus may not work. You can turn this option off and on to see if it helps.

Boing7117
24th Oct 2002, 10:11
If I were you I'd be tempted to get a fairly recent version of IE (say IE 5.0) - and use that.

I've used NN and IE for comparitive purpose on several occasions and I have found IE to be far more reliable.

If you're gonna surf a bit, I suggest upgrading the memory of the 486 up to its max (probably no more than 64mb) and try buying a new hard drive, (a decent 20gb hd will cost you no more than £40)

I reckon that'll do ya

Tinker
24th Oct 2002, 21:45
Downloading and installing IE 5.something or other has been the solution. Cheers :)
As for the upgrade advice, well that's kind of a contentious issue. Husband next door wants new all singing all dancing PC and her indoors (next door) has decided that a new pc comes very low in their priorities. So the 486 at least for the time being has to stay, and whilst we both accept that an upgrade is very desirable, all the time there is a slim possibility that a shiny new PC will adorn the 'desk in the corner', money spent on the plastic antique will be wasted.
The main thing is, the problem in hand has been solved, Thanks for the advice.