PDA

View Full Version : JAA Help from the old pros

BroomHilda
14th Mar 2001, 12:12
I have been looking into my options for flying in Europe, and I thought this would be the perfect place to get some good, honest career advice from the heart ... tempered with some searing humour, of course! I want to make sure I have the correct information before leaping into some serious re-training/debt.

I have an EU passport, but I am flying in Canada on the BE20, and have about 3000 tt, and hold the Canadian ATPL.

Does the King Air 200 count as a multi-crew aircraft in Europe? If so, with the 500 hours on type, am I exempt from all exam requirements to hold an unrestricted JAA ATPL?

If not, would you spend the money on a B737 or A320 endorsement, or would you complete the required residential course of study towards the full conversion. Where is the best place to complete the licence conversion, and which companies would be best for me to contact for employment, considering my experience?

Thanks for all the help. This move is something I have been considering for a long time, and I think it is time to make the leap, considering that I am now pushing 35! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

rolling circle
14th Mar 2001, 14:44
The BE20 is listed in AMC FCL 1.220 as a single-crew aeroplane. There would be no advantage to spending money on a 737 or A320 endorsement since you will still have to complete all of the ground exams - Everyone, no matter what their qualifications and experience has to pass all of the ground exams.

The advantage of having 500 hours on a multi-crew type is that instead of having to pass the CPL Skill Test and IR Skill test, with their associated mandatory training courses, you would only have to pass the ATPL Skill Test. There would be no mandatory training assuming that you held a valid type rating on the multi-crew type used in the test.

The answer to your question, therefore, is - Use the money to pass the exams.

BroomHilda
21st Mar 2001, 10:39
RC

Thanks for the clarification with regard to the BE20 questions.

If writing the exams is the next logical step, does Bristol seem to be the most 'favoured' distance ground school program? I found it to be one of the cheapest so far. The Glasgow school is charging 2200GBP. Does anyone have any feedback regarding the success of the students or clarity of the notes?

full-span-spoiler
6th Apr 2001, 07:12
well broom'
have any other ideas about how to find the info we need?

foghorn
6th Apr 2001, 12:49
Hi Broom,

Bristol, Oxford and PPSC are getting good feedback at the moment for distance learning. Best do a search on this board regarding ATPL courses to see what people have said.

There aren't any published stats so a lot of it is hearsay.

Hope this helps!
foggy

full-span-spoiler
7th Apr 2001, 08:16
broom,
did you check out this site?

http://www.ppsc.co.uk/

and

http://perso.libertysurf.co.uk/jeff.watson/

[This message has been edited by full-span-spoiler (edited 07 April 2001).]

[This message has been edited by full-span-spoiler (edited 07 April 2001).]

BroomHilda
11th Apr 2001, 08:37
Full-Span-

What, no heart icon this time? Don't tell me that your love is fading?

Have you seen Princess Bride lately?

Joaquín
20th Apr 2001, 21:07
Hi Broom
I hope it's not too late. I just sat 8 exams and passed them all :) . I am with Bristol Groundschool and I think it is quite good. The notes are clear although perhaps the Instruments' one needs some pulishing. Instructors are knowledgable and know how to transmitt their knowledge (not many do, believe me). Because it doesn't have lots of students you get a fair share of personalised tuition and quick answer to your questions.
Well, that's my experience, I hope it helps.