PDA

View Full Version : What's happening at Bankstown???

rastus_101
22nd Oct 2002, 06:30
I have heard an number of rumors about a few Companies at BK struggling a little and putting people off!!

Anyone have any further info? I am curious.

AZTRUCKER
22nd Oct 2002, 09:07
Well i know that BAL (Bankstown Airport Limited) have just doubled the parking toll pass. They use to charge $1000.00 per year for a Cherokee now it costs $2000 per year just to leave it outside, and for a light twin you wont get much change out of $5000.00 this also includes hoxton and Camden. So if you live in Sydney and own an aeroplane you cant go anywhere else.. Seems like there out to kill G.A TOO!!

skyfox
22nd Oct 2002, 12:58
All depends who you talk to. Flying training at BK is a little slower than usual, we are all aware of that. Only god knows what BAL are thinking that they are going to achieve by raising the charges.

I do believe that some companies have put people off recently. But I also know of 3 companies who have recently hired people. There seems to be quite some interesing movement around the place over the last 2- 3 months.

I think somebody needs to tell BAL that GA is BK's life.....

SF:confused:

Guptar
23rd Oct 2002, 00:26
Bankstown Airport Ltd is now actively discouraging the general public for visiting the airport. Firstly the fenced off area at the end of the runways, then the grasssed picnic area in front of the pold briefing office has been locked off from the genaral public, ther is a coded gate that pilots who have airside occes can find the code on the other side of the gate. This is where you often get people comming down to watch the aircraft take off and land, and the only place midfield.

Now its out of bounds to the public, BAL told me they dont want the general public watching the movements on the runwys, or for that matter anywhere on the airport. Are they for real. Do they not realise the general public are also our (potential) customers. Where was the consultation with the industry before arbitrarily chasing off the great unwashed.

BAL, displaying yet another breathtaking example of incopetance and contempt for their customers.

Mark CRUISE
23rd Oct 2002, 01:03
I think you will find the reason for all the barriers's at Bankstown is due to increased security measures.

kram
24th Oct 2002, 02:09
When I was shopping around for some training a short while ago at BK some schools didn't seem to interested in my money and some didn't bother to return my phone calls. So I'm not suprised they are finding it a bit slow.

Skypark
24th Oct 2002, 12:34
If I could just throw this question around to get a few opinions, which company do you think would be the best flight training school at ysbk at the moment? If you were to do your training again where would you go? And if you were advising a potential student where would you tell them to steer clear of?

Any stories/thoughts/opinions greatly appreciated.

SP

stormywx
25th Oct 2002, 05:00
Personally I'd go with the bigger schools who have more resources behind them.

It also depends where you want your flying to go.

Basair for example is fantastic for people wanting to fly for leasure and PPL level, but not as great as you go further.

CAS is fantastic for CPL/ATPL/MECIR level, they have great theory instructors who will make life much easier.

Aerospace is good CPL/MECIR flying. The enviornment is relaxed and very firendly.

Basically people have to remember they get what they pay for, the more they are paying at BK, litrally the better quality training they are getting.

Those are the 3 big schools at BK and none of these 3 seem to be in a downtime at the moment, they all seem to be pretty busy.

stormy

Skypark
25th Oct 2002, 09:46
What about GFS?

Seems as though they might be taking some of the market away from CAS, with the only new planes on the airport and the possibility of having the cadets next year. Interesting stuff indeed.

KAOS
25th Oct 2002, 14:12
Skypark,

If I had the chance to do it again?
I would apply to the Defence Forces until they either took me or I was too old to keep trying. That's it!

With regards to which school at BK?
I would avoid all the above mentioned schools except maybe GFS.
I have only heard good things about the place, but I haven't had the chance to personally confirm anything, hence the maybe. Go and personally inspect these schools for yourself. Ask as many questions as you feel like and more. Don't hesitate to request a different instructor if you are not satisfied. Don't hesitate to change schools if your needs are not met. Most important, if anyone promises you any work at the conclusion of your training, ask them to put it on paper or do the big about turn and head for the door. Cheers!;)

Watchdog
25th Oct 2002, 23:17
It's a tough game out there to make a $ these days.... price of fuel, our weak $ against the USD, cost of insurance, landing/parking fees, costs dealing with the idiot regulators. Good luck to the guys trying - I admire them!:)

skyfox
28th Oct 2002, 10:12
Skypark

Go and have a look at all the schools at BK and form your own conclusion. All the schools have there good and bad points. It all depends on what you want.

I can give some good and bad points about most of the schools but not in a such a public place. Besides, if you do the rounds you will find it all out.

I started my training at CAS from PPL to CPL. Then moved on. About the same time as the QF cadets. I moved to Basair. The only one I found that didnt want to rip me off. They were friendly and seemed dedicated to getting the job done in my time frame. Facility and aircraft are well maintained too.

Aerospace isnt bad either. Send me a message if you want to chat about schools 'off the air'

SF:D

Like This - Do That
14th Nov 2002, 12:13
Good evening all

I took a drive around Tower Rd yesterday - has Sydney Aerobatic School disappeared? The logo has been removed from the hangar and there were no Robins in sight.

Cheers

LT DT

ugly
16th Nov 2002, 01:25
Sydney Aerobatic School have moved around to the other side of the airport near AOPA and AFTS