PDA

View Full Version : Rescue Plan For Ghana Air

Gunship
22nd Oct 2002, 06:17
The Link (http://allafrica.com/stories/200210140687.html)
Rescue Plan for Ghanair

Accra. AfricaOne Airlines has presented government with a business plan to rescue the national carrier. This follows government's announcement that it has not settled on a partner for Ghana Airways.

The other frontrunner in the bid to partner Ghana Airways, Nationwide Airlines has already submitted a business plan which government sources say is very workable.

Joel Lamptey of Information News Company (INC) has assessed the proposals of the two airlines and presents the following report below.

INC has obtained a copy of the proposal signed by Mr. Charles Heather, AfricaOne's Chief Executive, and addressed to the Acting Chief Executive of Ghana Airways, Mr. William Panford Bray.

In the proposal AfricaOne airline like the other bidders will provide management consultancy services, aircraft and equipment. They will also provide maintenance and support to ensure improvement in the services of the national carrier.

But fifty one per cent of profits generated from the partnership will go to the government while AfricaOne gets forty nine percent. This sharply contrasts Nationwide's proposal which intends to retain sixty per cent of operating profits.

Like Nationwide Airlines, which proposes a new name, Ghana Nationwide International Airlines, AfricaOne will also change the airline's name to One Air Ghana if their bid is accepted.

The change of name is strategic because the debts of the new airline would be transferred to the government since they are responsible for the airline's current crisis. The new airline would therefore kick start its operations on a new note.

Even as the AfricaOne proposal acknowledges the 170 million dollar debt of Ghana Airways and its numerous outstanding loan settlements Mr. Charles Heather is convinced that they could utilize the numerous Bilateral Air Service Agreements of the national carrier to expand their routes and make profit.

This argument is in sync with the ideas of the Nationwide's Chief Executive, Vernon Bricknell who expects to evolve out of Ghana Airways an airline that could prove to be a thorn in the flesh of other established airlines.

One other proposal is that of the Hamburg Branch of the New Patriotic Party (NPP) who have expressed the desire to collect about 150 million dollars from Ghanaians abroad to settle the debt of the national airline. In turn they will benefit from fare discounts whenever they travel on Ghana Airways within a two-year period.

Gunship
22nd Oct 2002, 12:27
6 hours after I posted the message ... I tried to confirm my booking on the same AFRICA ONE (also known as RED AIR) back to the UK.

I have just been informed they have not flown to West Africa for the past two weeks. And they are doing business proposals ... Oh Africa Dear Africa ..... :mad: $625 down the f&^%$n drain !

JJflyer
22nd Oct 2002, 15:30
Now thats called another ontime departure by African standards:D

Africa One is still planning on doing the trip arenīt they, so if you a very very patient you might get lucky and actually be able to fly one of these days.

Yak97
23rd Oct 2002, 09:47
I don't think Red Air & Africa One are the same.

Red Air is a Gambia based operation. They have been using the Africa One aircraft to operate some/all their schedules. Africa One is Uganda (?) base associated with DAS air cargo, who have just introduced DC9 into regional service.

Perhaps Red Air hasn't paid??

As for Ghana Airways, its gone very quiet on the Nationwide front. Perhaps all those people in the know (and on the k**kbacks) have suddenly realised that Nationwide have actually got very little to offer GH (especially as they want to get the airline unencumbered by debts etc) which was not true of at least one of the other offers on the table (which involved an A330 from a certain well-known UK airline) and an involvement to try and turn round this ailing company.

PS have you heard on the one about the GCAA Board all being fired because one of GH's aircraft was detained by the airport (operator: GCAA) with some bigwig on-board, because of the minor matter of unpaid dues.

Do I see a pattern here?

Gunship
23rd Oct 2002, 12:30
Lo Yak97,

Yip you are right ... had my facts twisted. Red Air as you said is Gambia based and made use of Africa One as their carrier (same as Sierra National Airlines making use of Monarch). It was definately Ugandian crew with Red Air uniforms.

Anyway whatever happened between them, Red Air has an arrangement with SNA that Red Air ticket holders can swop them for SNA tickets.

It was also confirmed to me that Red Air will start on the 15th of November with another carrier on the London - Banjul - Freetown route. Must admit I really enjoyed flying with them as the flight leaves Monday nights late and arrice early Tue morning in the Wild West.