PDA

View Full Version : Hearing off one side!

Side Slip
21st Oct 2002, 20:59
Dear all out there.

I am partially deaf in one ear though I have perfect hearing on my left side. My Right ear is below CAA limits though the left is well above. I do not have any problems with hearing even when flying. I Hold CAA class 3 and JAA class 2 medicals but I am trying to get the elusive JAA Class 1. The CAA have come back to me today with a refusal on all accounts of air work (Instruction, ATPL etc) due to hearing. My Hearing specalist cannot see any problem with flying at all (He is frustratingly positive!). Has anyone any suggestions? or do you think thats it for me?
Help!!:confused:

SAS-A321
22nd Oct 2002, 19:37
It's just the same as the JAR visual requirements. No need for them! The eye lenses which is available today is good enough! It seems like the JAA is just putting some limits here and there!

karaoke
27th Oct 2002, 07:56
Whilst speaking with the CAA medical advisors this week on behalf of one of my patients who also has a hearing deficiency, I asked this very question. The reply was that Class 1 approvals had been given in the past under old regulations, but that generally JAA rules require both ears & eyes to achieve the minimum standard.
Many company standard operating procedures now require that 'one ear is always off' and the use of intercom prohibited. This may cause you problems intially depending on which ear is OK, or may limit your career when the time came for a seat change.
If the deficiency occurs after the issue of the Class 1, then a more lenient approach is taken. As long as one ear reaches the minimum standard, then a 'practical cockpit hearing test' is undertaken by a senior company training captain to see if normal operations can be safely achieved.
For you I think that's it ! However, without wishing to start another highly controversial topic, from what my patients tell me (in confidence of course);) is that the job is certainly not what it was, and many are desperate to get out:eek:
Perhaps you could look upon it as a lucky escape, earn your money elseware and fly for fun. Good Luck.

I. M. Esperto
27th Oct 2002, 15:22
I became partially deaf in my left ear, and it was so bad that I took an early retirement at 56, rather than face loss of my medical certificate.

Side Slip
27th Oct 2002, 16:06
Thankyou all for your reply's and advice, they are very much appreciated.

Looks like i'd better just stick to my 172!

Best regards

Side Slip