PDA

View Full Version : Amex Platinum

GustyOrange
21st Oct 2002, 20:39
Hi guys,

I have been offered an Amex platinum card and was wondering if someone could enlighten me as to what lounges this gets me access to.

The annual fee is much higher than that on my Gold Credit Card and I'd rather not pay it unless I'm going to get a lot of worthwhile benefits.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Gusty

PAXboy
21st Oct 2002, 21:23
Hi, I have been a Platinum card holder for a couple of years. The lounge acces is Priority Pass (http://www.PriorityPass.com/). you get a card from P.P. and use that for access, not the Amex card.

Last year I was running back and forth between LTN and EDI on a project and did about 20 round trips. At each end, I used the P.P. lounges. Any delays and I just stayed there snacking, drinking, reading and working. As I was on EZY, it meant I got lounge access when travelling on a ticket costing less than £50 (on occasions!)

So the benefit is dependent on how many times you will need it in a year. If you sign for P.P. direct, it is about £110 per annum (I think).

The other advantage of Platinum is that you get annual multi-trip travel insurance for ANY trip - not just those paid for by the card. Last year, I had to call a doctor when in South Africa and they could not have been more helpful. They rang back (from the UK) a couple of days later to make sure that I was receiving treatment and did I need any more help??? :cool: The claim was paid when I got back.

I costed out the benefits of Platinum against dropping P.P. that I belonged to and dropping the separate Amex Centurian insurance policy - and was saving money!! The only downside is that payment comes in one hit, rather than in three smaller ones.

There are some other smaller benefits that they detail for you. :confused:

Land After
22nd Oct 2002, 08:52
You used to be able to get into the Virgin Clubhouse with any ticket - but I think this has now been dropped. I think you can still get into the BMI business lounges, a good deal if you don't have a BMI card, as these are not in the Priority Pass scheme.

Check out the PP pricing for the amount of use you think you'll get - some plans charge 15GBP a visit, Amex is free & unlimited. I think the insurance is worth around 100GBP/year, but it's easy to get an add-on for PPL flying for around 50GBP - I've found problems trying to get this on the high street.

You can also get an additional Platinum card for your partner (entry into BMI lounge for free!) and a couple of gold cards. I've trustingly given these to my brothers on the understanding they're not to be used, but they still get the insurance cover.

You need to work out what you need & cost out the price of buying away from Amex. (They also operate the companion flight/upgrades scheme that I think you still get with the gold card, which can be worthwhile ).

I don't work for Amex, but do believe in everyone milking a good deal if they can!

PAXboy
22nd Oct 2002, 17:06
Yes, indeed Land After you are correct!

I had an additional Plat for my partner, until she got her own. :rolleyes: You also get a second Plat card with a different number, this is a Supplementary card and appears on your statement. You can use this for biz, so as to be able to separate the different expenses from personal.

You can have up to four further cards for family, note ONLY family! These cards can be Green or Gold at your choice. The folks sign a special form but YOU are responsible for the bills as the charges all come to you. Any charges made on those cards, are clearly marked on the statement.

I have given cards to my siblings also, simply because they live in another country and it is the best way to buy presents for their children, from me. I agree a price and they take the child shopping with Uncle's plastic!! It saves me having to work out what to buy and then post at enormous cost. So, I save money and hassle and I still get the Membership Rewards points on any purchase. ;)

The_Banking_Scot
22nd Oct 2002, 18:23
Hi,

I got my Amex Plat last year and it is good for travel insurance ( you get even more benefits like enhanced luggage delay insurance if you pay for the trip with your card.).

I like the Bmi lounge benefit -useful when flying EDI-LHR ( Bmi lounge is better than the Servisair lounge with PP) and v useful at LHR T1 Domestic ( No PP lounge airside).

I do miss the VS clubhouse benefit but now that I have reached Gold ,I get the lounge access.

I have also signed my parents up for Supplementary Cards.

It is expensive (£275 pa) but the insurance and the benefits of the lounge can pay for the card if you fly a few times ( especially considering the prices of drinks/coffee/softdrinks at airports) and the lounge is beneficial with the connection times between EDI-LHR and overseas ( often 2 hours +)

Plus you get MR points!!

Regards
TBS

Land After
23rd Oct 2002, 08:28
If you're a dedicated BA Miles chaser you can sacrifice your Membership Rewards points and get a free BA Amex Premier card. This gives you a 50% uplift on miles earned, world traveller plus for world traveller miles redemption and, most importantly for me, a free companion ticket for your redemptions each time you spend a total of 15K on the card (only one per year!!), and this is for all travel classes .

I also think you get enrolled in the Membership Rewards scheme for free – good if you also have a Corporate Amex that you can include for nothing.

GustyOrange
25th Oct 2002, 19:40
Thanks for the responses guys.

I'm not sure whether I'm going to proceed or not, as the benefits seem to accrue to international frequent travellers (insurance etc).

However most of my flying is GLA-LHR BA, so the lounge access would be of use as I don't have a silver card yet.

I think I will leave it on the backburner for now.

Thanks again

Gusty