PDA

View Full Version : expanded memory

lupous erectus
21st Oct 2002, 19:05
I,m using windows XP and have installed a new memory chip to increase the computer's memory from 129 to 256k'b.
Does anyone know how I can tell my computer about its new found potential?:confused:

RadarContact
21st Oct 2002, 21:15
Switch it on. If it runs, it knows... :)

ORAC
21st Oct 2002, 21:53
It should automatically see it. If not, it may because:

a. The memory chips are just incompatible (it happens), are

b. Of different speeds/characteristics or,

c. That the new one is just U/S.

d. It's incompatible with your motherboard

Remove each chip turn, if the machine boots each time and shows 128Mb, eliminate c and d.

If it won't boot with the new chip, take it back and ask them to test it. If it works OK it may just be incompatible with your motherboard. Newer memory should be backwards compatible, but sometimes there are problems. If so, ask for a different brand - ideally the same as the other chip. If it's bust just ask for a replacement.

If each boots in turn, the 2 chips are incompatible. (You haven't said if they're DDR, their speed e.g. 266, 333). They should be the same. Otherwise the motherboard after sensing the first one is ignoring the second. Get the details of the old chip (the numbers off of it). The shop will be able to identify it and provide a compatible chip.

Some older motherboards are made to be able to use SIMMs or DIMMs, but not both; just a more extreme version of the above problem, you can't mix SIMMs and DIMMs.

Final couple of things to try.

SIMMs have to be used in banks, most motherboards had 4 slots in 2 banks and bank 1 had to be full before you used bank 2; make sure the chips are in the same one. Motherboards with DIMMS are usually more robust but might still have slots which must be filled, check the motherboard handbook.

Try changing the chips around in the slots. Silly as it may sound, fractional changes in chip specs may mean that 2 seemingly identical chips may not work when put in 2 slots, but will when swapped around.

BLUE SKY THINKER
21st Oct 2002, 22:11
Just....................

Select "Control Panel"
Select "System"

.......................and there is the revised RAM (hopefully!) on the first page ("General" tab) of "System Properties" :)