View Full Version : Well, Ive finally decided.......

STANDTO
21st Oct 2002, 17:02
You may remember a post of mine a few months ago, as I wrestled with whether to give up 30k a year to enter a volatile and unpredictable market, by training for my ATPL.

Well, after much deliberation, I think I'll spend my money on a JAR PPL and buy an AA5.

As I told someone who was hell bent on joining my job just today and taking a good pay cut in the process. "its good - but not that good!"

To the rest of you - I hope it all works out and I am cursiong you in five years time!

Select Zone Five
21st Oct 2002, 18:48
Glad to hear you've made a decision...I'm sure you'll have fun. I fear I'll not be so sensible :rolleyes: I think I'm ready to throw mucho $$$'s at my quest to fly big planes :rolleyes:

Enjoy :D

Number Cruncher
21st Oct 2002, 19:20
Good for you.

Maybe your decision is a result of your overall desire to get the ATPL etc, still, in that case, maybe its a good thing you've decided against it.

ALl the best with the PPL and i pray you don't get to the 'past it' stage and think "what if................??"

Ray Ban
21st Oct 2002, 20:35
STANDTO,

A wise decision in the current uncertain climate. As you rightly observe aviation can be a volatile and unpredictable market. It's all about peaks and troughs and timing your training right - what a headache!

I was in your shoes just over 2 years ago. I was late twenties and married with a good income but in a miserable job. Started my PPL in July 2000 then a year or so later came 9/11. I now have a frozen ATPL with 300 odd hours but no wife. :( Never underestimate the impact of professional training on relationships - it causes even the strongest ones to creak and the weakest to break.

I don't regret getting my licence, I just wish I had done it 8-10 years ago.

Best of luck. :)

STANDTO
22nd Oct 2002, 16:26
I'd also just like to say thanks to the bloke from BACE who rang me up in response to an enquiry and was good enough to spend 20 mins on the phone.