PDA

View Full Version : Why is helo flying so expensive in the UK?

Bronx
21st Oct 2002, 10:12
Is it just your exhorbitant gas costs?
One of the frequent topics on this forum is UK guys comparing and asking for tips for getting their licenses in other countries ...... USA, SA, Oz, NZ etc etc.
I can see wx might be a factor, but most of the talk is about saving money.
Why is it such a rip-off in the UK?:confused:

tecpilot
21st Oct 2002, 11:26
Don't cry!

Compared with other european countrys, UK isn't the top scorer.
And due to the laws and rules in UK it's much more easier to fly a helo crosscountry than in the most other parts of good ol europe.

The real question is: Why is helo flying at all so expensive?

John Bicker
21st Oct 2002, 16:34
It's just to keep up with the rest of the UK! RIPOFF BRITAIN!

SASless
21st Oct 2002, 19:36
Guys.....if it costs more....it must be better, right? The contradiction is when they come to the USA....train to JAR Ops standard......and do it for less using the same aircraft and same instructors they would have used in Blighty.....but they do it in Florida.....therefore the answer must be "the weather".

KENNYR
22nd Oct 2002, 15:47
Just to give you an idea how much it costs to get a commercial license in Canada. When I was instructing in Ontario, in 1989, it cost approximately $33,000Can. {UK14,300pounds} (included accommodation, ground school, books, nav. equipment and 100 hours flying time in R22 and Bell 206). I am quite sure that now, 13 years later, the cost has increased greatly. How does this compare with Uk?

Whirlybird
22nd Oct 2002, 15:52
I think it was a lot cheaper in the UK in 1989 too!

advancing_blade
22nd Oct 2002, 17:34
Kennyr

Thats pretty good, because in 1998 when I got my Canadian CPL_H it cost about C$34,000 ex accomodation, so it didn't really increase that much in almost ten years, seems to go up about 2k a year now though.

Britain is quite expensive for a lot of things, especialy if you come from a country with a lower exchange rate. But rotary pay is good IF you can find work. There just isn't the heli usage required here i.e logging, seismic, construction , ag .etc