PDA

View Full Version : Qantas and their Uniform Jacket Policy?

Scooter
20th Oct 2002, 23:26
Got on the turps last night with a group of QF drivers.
The one conversation that they got heated about was the policy that if the Captain decides to wear his uniform jacket then all the other tech crew must follow suit.

The story about an S/O not bringing his jacket (at Singapore I believe) on a 34 deg stinking hot day was apparently stood down by the Captain, the flight delayed a few hours until replacement crew was found and all for the sake of a God-damned dress coat!
How would passengers react if they knew the truth?

Sure I know that alot of airlines (including my own illustrious employer) insist on similar but when its a bloody hot tropical day with 100% humidity and the Captain decides to wear his jacket and you see the remaining crew sweating profusely in public then you have to wonder at this policy.

The other thing I witnessed was an S/O in Frankfurt being abused for wearing his jacket (on a freezing cold morning) whilst the Captain was not.
Sound a bit crazy or behind the times??

I do realise that its the company's policy and if they are paying you and its a minor matter then so be it.
I also realise they wish to portray the professional image, but at the expense of being made physically uncomfortable which could endanger safety as well as degrade performance?.
This seemingly useless policy of standing down a crew member for the sake of not wearing his/her jacket and costing the company thousands is absurd and in my opinion the company has to look at this practice carefully.

Imagine if this was to leak to the media......."Qantas flight delayed or cancelled because crew member was not correctly attired".
The shareholders would probably want blood also!

Just for the record my company has never cancelled or delayed a flight for the above reason but merely explained politely the company policy to the offending member and treated that crew member like an adult.

Keg
21st Oct 2002, 05:32
Ah yes, tis indeed a wonderful thing this whole jacket thingo. One of the management blokes made a tongue in cheek reminder to those of us who aren't captains that it takes many long years and some training to be able to make the decision about whether a jacket is required or not and as the rest of us don't have this training then we can't make the decision and therefore should be prepared.

Firstly, there are a couple of captains around that insist on jackets in Singapore and Bangkok. I had a quite amicable discussion with one of these skippers one day who said that we look more professional instead of appearing in creased and wrinkled shirts that we'd been operating and sleeping in for the last 16+ hours. My response was that that's fine in an air conditioned terminal but not sure how professional I look with a beetroot red face and sweat running down my face whilst outside.

Haven't heard of an aircraft being delayed before due to standing down S/O because he or she didn't have the jacket. Poor form by the S/O if they were heading north and temperature forecast for less than 20 degrees or so. Why set yourself up for that kind of heart ache!?!?!

The other thing I've often seen is a skipper say 'wear them if you need to lads' when cold-ish weather but the boss doesn't have them. Perhaps I've been off the 744 too long now though! Certainly the 767 is very flex with the jacket requirements. I know of none who require it in all weather and only a couple who will be upset if you don't have yours when they have theirs.

For the most part Scooter, my experiences in Qantas have mirrored your last paragraph and to be honest, apart from your story, have never heard otherwise. Admittedly, some people can treat 'adults' pretty poorly! ;) :D

Hugh Jarse
21st Oct 2002, 07:34
So responsible adults aren't permitted to be responsible adults and think for themselves?

You think the "Captain" would have more important issues to concern hi/herself with.

What a W@nk.......

Waste Gate
22nd Oct 2002, 04:14
Yes Keg,

I thought RM's comments on Captains' and their all - knowing enforcement of jacket policy were pretty poor.

Seem to remember him belittling S/Os in his previous newsletter. And no, I'm not an S/O. . .

WG.

gaunty
22nd Oct 2002, 04:47
Click, click, click............I still want to know who stole that Strawberry ice cream. 'kay. :D

hoss
23rd Oct 2002, 00:48
All due respect for Company Policy but after a reality check shouldn't the Captain have been stood down?

I have to wonder if the Captain consulted someone higher up the 'food chain' prior to his decision or was he just exercising his authority?

Was there an exchange of words between the two or was it simply a cut'n'dry stand down?

Either way where do the @rsehole Captains come from? :rolleyes:

Regards Hoss.

MoFo
24th Oct 2002, 04:46
They finish up in management writing stupid Memos to the crews.