PDA

View Full Version : The Roger Theaker Memorial Telephone

Essential Traffic
20th Oct 2002, 18:20
Need I comment further.........?

Fallows
20th Oct 2002, 18:58
For those of us who are not TC staff but know Roger, could you please elaborate about this. I am not to sure what this is about.

Roger Dee
20th Oct 2002, 19:08
Go on...give us a clue!

eastern wiseguy
20th Oct 2002, 20:49
regrettably in answer to your original question ......yes what are you talking about?:confused:

Mr_Grubby
21st Oct 2002, 04:05
Ah..........

He will be sadly missed.

Did anybody ever eat off that table in the rest room at Gatwick after he was caught with the B Cal girlie ?

I don't think so.

NATS phone bill will be a lot less now though.

Happy retirement Roger.

Mr G.
:) :) :)

Ahh-40612
21st Oct 2002, 08:41
Great Idea!
But is there going to be enough room on the plaque to include the wonderful middle name of HAMILTON ?

Worked with him for donkey's years.
I always ended up out-of-pocket, especially if it involved flying.

Anyone remember his night vanishing acts from LGW's old GMC?!

Always amazed at how often on a fam flight that the question " do you know RHT? " came up!!

Have a good one, Rog.

shack
21st Oct 2002, 09:32
For them that did not have the pleasure of knowing RT, we thought at one stage on B watch at Heathrow, when he was an assistant, that he would have to have an operation to remove the telephone from his ear. If he was unable to be found the procedure was to send one of the other assistants round all the empty offices to look to see which telephone was glued to his ear. He used to moan like fury when he had to spend a duty in the caravan (remember those on the ends of the runway?) because he could not get to a telephone.

Dear Roger, have a good and happy retirement, it sure beats work.

All the best

Jack.

roger
21st Oct 2002, 12:10
Fallows

was that a polite way of asking if he's dead or not?

roger

Minesapint
21st Oct 2002, 12:23
I have met many Bizjet crews that will not miss his constant begging for flights!

Biggin Koksy
21st Oct 2002, 14:29
So Treacle has retired. Well done. He wont know how he found time to go to Latcc to make all those phone calls!! Does he still have that PUF registration plate???????????

;)

Mr_Grubby
21st Oct 2002, 15:23
Biggin Koksy.

No, the latest Porsche had personalised plates RHT.

Bless.

Mr G.

Fallows
21st Oct 2002, 15:44
Now I understand, Roger has retired!. I have known RT a long time and I would like to wish him a long and happy retirement.
I think it is a shame that all the characters such as "Ace" Carter, Roger, and others are retiring, but perhaps real people with a sense of humour and who do not take things to seriously are not welcome in the newly privatized NATS. I believe the the Japanese have a saying "A nail which stands out will be hammered down" perhaps this is the new NATS philosophy?

Mr_Grubby
21st Oct 2002, 16:59
Fallows.

Hear , Hear.

Roger could be an 'interesting' guy to work with. But a great character.

Not a lot in the pipe line though, I fear.

Mr G.
:( :(

A I
22nd Oct 2002, 08:52
Hi Fallows and guys,

Sorry to lose Treacle. I have to disagree about the characters though. There are plenty about and time will prove me right. Don't you remember thinking the same way back when we joined that the good times were past?

Have to agree about the "japanese" theory! It is just up to those who care not to let it happen. In our environment we have to keep asking the questions even if we don't like the answers.

Vlad the Impaler
22nd Oct 2002, 20:05
TURKEY !!!!! ;) ;) ;)

NorthernSky
22nd Oct 2002, 20:06
Good luck Roger - over but not out!

Direct HALIFAX
22nd Oct 2002, 23:12
so when is the p/u - or have I missed it.

foo fighting
23rd Oct 2002, 00:08
p-up, don't hold your breath

Canteen profits have soared

eyeinthesky
23rd Oct 2002, 09:01
Anybody else remember the story of RHT having a stuck transmit switch on TC SW?
It was quite busy and he detected a stuck transmit switch. The next sentence was along the lines of:

"Oh great, that's all we f***ing need, some coc****ker with a f***ing transmit switch!"

Shortly thereafter he realised that his shoelace was stuck in the foot switch and therefore it was transmitting. Once he had freed it there was a stunned silence on the frequency.:D :D

He will be missed, but perhaps BT shares will take a dive now!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
23rd Oct 2002, 09:52
<<so when is the p/u - or have I missed it.>>

I was on leave but I don't believe there was one... he simply drifted off in his Porsche and was gone.

The Sad ATCO
23rd Oct 2002, 12:04
I think that as a mark of respect for Treacle we should introduce a new mandatory reporting point on the WILLO arrivals from the north. Maybe we could position it at about 12 DME and call it 'TURKI'. Why? You'll have to ask Rog why he always made them make that report!

Eyeinthesky: Yes, I remember the incident - not being too far away at the time! ;)

folkyphil
30th Oct 2002, 00:57
Roger was in good form at the Southampton Hall of Aviation last Sunday, at the retirement p/u for Messrs Ken Handley and Jake Russell (both A Watch LATCC, latterly Swanwick).
Whether Rog was there to get a beer out of KH (..a rare event..), or to compare notes with Jake (..another"telephone operator"..) remains a matter of conjecture.
Casual conversation with the museum staff confirmed that they have no plans, as yet, to display a lifesize replica of RHT plus phone in hand.
They were a little concerned when he offered to take the Shorts Sandringham off their hands for a fiver. These fears were soon allayed when they realised that the towbar wouldn't fit on the Porsche!

Happy retirement to all three!

Mr_Grubby
8th Nov 2002, 18:37
I can assure all fans of RHT that he is well and living in a freezer cabinet in Tesco.

Mrs G and I are just back from the weekly shop. I spotted RHT in a freezer cabinet. Not looking too perky, I must say. Lost a lot of weight. Down to 12lbs 6oz. now. But oven ready and no need to baste. Should be ideal for Christmas.

Any more sightings ?

Mr G.

:)

srs what?
8th Nov 2002, 22:00
:D Surely he can be tracked down by the sound of jingling change in his pocket.

bullshot
11th Nov 2002, 08:12
Happy retirement Rog - I haven't seen you for over 25 years but on those quiet times on the r/t when i thought i recognized your voice and have enquired 'is that you rog?' it has usually been met with 'no it bloody isn't!'
Good luck pal - by the way, are you still nobbing anything that moves?

eyeinthesky
12th Nov 2002, 10:29
Not if it moves too quick.. stomach precedes rest of him!

Autolycus
12th Nov 2002, 13:43
Aaaah the memories! Was at LGW '70s and RHT got the keys to the maintenance office and was found attached to the phone - as ever. Got him the posting out though. Regret ATC, like much of our aviation world these days, is not the collection of personalities it oncewas. Still, the bonus payments are reportedly quite good.............

What's all this about Jake Russel retiring? He's not old enough! You pilots will miss him "take off the flow, don't need that do we chaps".

Mr_Grubby
28th Nov 2002, 10:47
Turki Sighting.

One of my spies tells me that RHT was spotted in Jersey last week, trying to flog two Virgin tickets to KLAX.

Mr G.

sitting comfortably
24th Apr 2003, 17:42
Ahh-40612, that's interesting you always ended up out of pocket with good old Roger, I had exactly the same experience! We don't talk any more now!

WetFeet
28th Apr 2003, 02:16
Many cadets will remember Roger parking his car on the pavement when he was on duty in the old KK GMC and parking it for him. Wonder if he realised how many extra miles up and down the dual carriageway that car did.

That would be the MGB that had rear indicators that flashed left when the front ones flashed right and vice versa.

Have a good one Roger, and you can apply that to whatever you like!

Charlie Fox
2nd May 2003, 02:36
I expect you will be down in Jersey on a more regular basis if that is possible!!!!!!! Have a good one - all at JER ATC

Mr_Grubby
30th Apr 2004, 08:32
My Jersey correspondent reports a RHT sighting on the island recently.

So the great man is alive and well. Any other news or sightings ?

Mr G.