PDA

View Full Version : Netscape has saved me from insanity!

Feneris
20th Oct 2002, 17:22
I wasn't previously a Netscape fan, but IE has been driving me insane recently, so I installed Netscape 7, which has cheered me up no end.

I had a relativly happy surfing experience with IE5 and uk2 as the ISP. I signed up with Freeserve, and installed IE6. I was forever hitting 'stop' and the 'refresh', as IE would grind to a halt, and pages would not load. pprune and ebay were forever causing this. I uninstalled IE6, which improved things. I was still regularly hitting stop/reload. When the page was downloading, it would grind to a halt, the globe going round in the top corner, and even if left for several minutes would not complete the page load.

Further to this, a lot of fonts were almost illegible(Probably a specific reason or setting).

Anyway, I downloaded and installed Netscape (45mins 56.6 modem, bare install). Netscape seems much faster, the fonts all show up correctly, and no stop/refresh problems. I prefer the way the pages load in Netscape, if something is slow or not loading one can see where/why.

Im sure there are a load of Netscape probs I'm not aware of, but for the time being a big thumbs up!:)

F

System details: P200MMX, 80mb ram, Win98

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
20th Oct 2002, 22:26
You might want to checkout www.opera.com, too :)

Land After
21st Oct 2002, 10:08
And you also get a mail client that isn't targetted by 99.99% of the worlds hackers!

You're also contributing the the fight against world Microshaft domination.

I run it on a P450/W98 + a P950/W2000 and it's only broken once in the past four weeks.

18-Wheeler
21st Oct 2002, 13:13
Another vote for Opera. Even faster than Netscape and more configurable.

Tinstaafl
21st Oct 2002, 15:02
Opera, although I keep a copy of IE for the occasional website that has a hissy fit with Opera (partly due to me setting Opera to be quite restrictive about security).

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
21st Oct 2002, 20:45
Opera, although I keep a copy of IE for the occasional website that has a hissy fit with Opera (partly due to me setting Opera to be quite restrictive about security).

You might want to try configuring Opera to lie to websites about its identity (File, Preferences, Network, Browser Identity.) This will often enable you to view sites with Opera that don't appear to work otherwise -- usually because a bit of dynamic content programming that goes something like:

if browser == "Internet Explorer" do interesting_stuff
else print "This site is best viewed with Internet Explorer
Version one more that you have now.
Please upgrade"

Often, the site displays perfectly OK anyway... :rolleyes:

Of course, this would help perpetuate the myth that the entire world uses Microsoft... :(

Tinker
21st Oct 2002, 23:53
Well i've tried Nutscrape and Opra with XP/IE6 and they both refuse to work.
Nutscrape wont install and Opra refuses to find a connection??
I'm not too upset as in the past (ie before XP and IE6) I haven't found any advantage in using either.
Can anyone give me a reason to persue with Opra over and beyond the advantages of IE6, otherwise I will bin the instalation exe file :confused: