PDA

View Full Version : How young is to young

high talker
20th Oct 2002, 09:06
How young is to young to start flying? After observing an increase in students under the age of 15 learning to fly lately is it worth them doing it or is it a waste of parents money. Just wondering what people think the ideal age is and what age is to young.

ugly
20th Oct 2002, 12:20
I know a couple of young blokes who started learning to fly gliders at a fairly early age. The gliding was easier on their parent's wallet, and one is now hooning around in a BAe Hawk at RAAF Williamtown and loving it...

the wizard of auz
20th Oct 2002, 12:35
My eldest has been flying since he was nine........right hand seat of course. Now he is fifteen and I would, if the law allowed, be quite happy for him to blast off in the 172 all by himself. so far it hasnt cost me a cent, and I think when the time comes he will pass all the required syllabus, exams and flight tests in the minimum required hours thus saving me money.
as far as I am concerned, If they are keen and your willing to let em have a shot at it, there really isnt an age barrier to start. (my boy couldnt see over the dash for the first 12 months so he learned how to fly instruments first.......took a while to break him into visual flying. He is as good as an auto pilot now) ;)

Cessna Capt
21st Oct 2002, 09:19
I think the limit should be lowered to 15.

I had to wait till my 16th birthday till i could solo after i had spent about a year flying. By this time i had completed the enitre GFPT course. I then found while completing the remainder of my solo training that i was more confident in what i was doing due to the experience gained pre solo.

The idea of the GFPT is great for younger pilots to gain command experience within the safety of the local training area. If find that the younger pilots learn the skills quicker with many soloing in minimum time.

By more younger people taking up flight training it shows that there are alot of people interested and keen to become apart of the industry.

poteroo
23rd Oct 2002, 14:05
Age Discrimination

It's surprising that someone hasn't had a crack at challenging this age restriction, especially with so much emphasis now on structured 'competency' evaluation.

What's more important - the students age or his competency?

A pretty good case can be made for flying as compared to driving, based on the more extensive training and evaluation.

Wiz You'll appreciate this story. Was in SWQ on a charter in about '66 and station owner asked if I'd seen 'another Cessna' around the property. Anyway, a few mins later a c182 shows up in the circuit, does a nice steady approach & arrival, and all I can see is a head showing up on the LHS. Out steps 'young Johnnie, all of 12 or 13, and says to dad....'couldn't see any water in the SE tank' Bit of a hard ask - seeing he must have been near IFR!

cheers,

Ref + 10
24th Oct 2002, 02:14
"within the safety of the local training area"

Cessna Capt. I'd never refer to the training area where I learnt as safe!

Icarus2001
24th Oct 2002, 02:29
That must be why they call them Danger areas?:eek: