View Full Version : other types of flying jobs

alistair_roman
19th Oct 2002, 23:42
ok, i'm very inetrested in getting a piloting job at some point (after uni), but i know the airliner world is dead at the moment. what other piloting jobs are there, and what is the availability of them??

people have mentioned jobs such as charter work, crop spraying, air rescue, and arial surveillance.

if any of you know the sort of work other piloting jobs do and what they pay, that would be great thanks!!

laurie
20th Oct 2002, 01:29
Hi Al,

Arial surveillance is your best bet. Or you could try Daz, or even Bold! Are you sure you can afford to wash your clothes after qualification?

Seriously Al, Get a look around the forum - adjust your settings to "Show Posts from the last year" and then just pick at the threads which interest you. You will soon get the answers to your original question, and also to the many that follow.

Reason I say this is because I do not want to see the usual raft of smartarse answers taking the ****, and saying how hard it is to get a job, or whatever....if you take a look at the relevant threads previous, you will get a good idea.

It'll take a bit of time, but shall provide some interesting, entertaining reading....

It will also give you an insight into the characters on pprune. There are some really good contributers on here as well as the other Forums (or should that be Fora, I dunno!!).

All the best,

Laurie :)

Freak On A Leash
20th Oct 2002, 10:55
Basically, to get on with an airline you`ll need some hours.A lot of people become flight instructors, while others fly sky divers, do cropdusting, aerials, and some get into bush flying. The best way to get these jobs is to hang out at airports that have these operators, and get to know the people. You might not be hired on the spot, but one day they might be searching for a co-pilot and give you a call. But to be honest, it is hard to get a job flying these days.

Laurie, did you apply with Brittannia?

boeingbus2002
20th Oct 2002, 14:27
Does anyone know what the requirements are to be a Para Jump pilot? I checked the BPA website but couldnt find anything.
I have some experience from the sport having done a few jumps. (Not a lot i know..but surely better than none at all!) Wouldve thought it would be good way to build potential Multi/turbine time depending where u are..

g92
20th Oct 2002, 19:41
For parachute flying try:-

www.skydiving.co.uk

Hope it helps!;)

alistair_roman
21st Oct 2002, 13:47
thanks people.
that should help.
i'll look through previous posts.