View Full Version : Residential PPL course - Do I pay upfront ?

NewBloke
14th Aug 2001, 17:33
Hello all.... I have recently decided to just bite the bullet and commit myself to a residential course with the intention of obtaining a PPL in 4 weeks. My question is - How safe is it to hand over say £5000 in one go for such schemes. Every now and then you hear these horror stories and I just wanted to know all the alternatives available. Do most expect full payment upfront for instance !?!? Surely there is no way of determining whether or not a school is likely to go bust in the near future is there !?!? Is it true if you pay by credit card you can obtain a refund should the school go bust ? I'm probably over worrying (Clive Hughes - "Never pay all costs upfront" !!! etc..) - maybe it's only a major consideration if you are paying for a fully integrated ATPL course that could set you back a house's worth of cash !? Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.... (Sorry about so many question too !)

Thanks,

NB.

Megaton
14th Aug 2001, 18:56
Refer you to Alex Whittingham's comments at http://www.pprune.org/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=010487

Night Las Palmas
14th Aug 2001, 23:03
NB

This is quite simple really once you have been in this business for a little while. Never pay that type of cash upfront for anything. Any flying school worth training at will let you pay as you go or at least pay in instalments as you progress through the course.

There are a lot of good flying schools around but also a lot of dodgy one's, Once they have your 5 grand they will have you by the balls good and proper if you find out the place is not to your liking.

One final reason for not parting with the cash upfront is that diffrent schools suit diffrent people. Just because a few guys tell you that a particular school is great, it may not be right for you.

All the beat with your flying.

Cheers
Night LPA :cool: ;)

SMAK
14th Aug 2001, 23:43
dont pay up front, you'll only regret it in the long run, especially if they tell you your money is spent and you 'aint ready for final handling test. Just one word of advice from an old hand, and that is in my experience 4 week PPL's are a bloody danderous thing. no time to assimilate the new knowledge you are aquiring, and I know a guy who despite being absolutely dedicated took a further two years to gain enough confidence to fly alone in the UK. probably extreme, but he is not the only quick built PPL I've had the pleasure of helping in one way or another.
Good luck and dont forget some people only run flying schools because they were crap at selling second hand cars.

Crepello
15th Aug 2001, 00:25
If you're considering payment by credit card, check the small print before you decide. Some flight schools pass on the 3% (+/-) commission which is significant when we're talking the cost of the PPL.

I'm about to head Stateside for a spot of flying so I'm watching the Dollar with unusual passion. I'd try to talk it down online but I believe the Federales take a dim view of this... :D :D

Facts Not Fiction Pls
15th Aug 2001, 09:40
Any school that is worth it will allow you to pay as you go or in installments - Do not be one of the many bitten pilots - try out the facility. You never know the tru identitiy of a facility until after you have been there a couple of days or weeks if you are part time.

Sensible
15th Aug 2001, 11:01
I have personal experience of a "struggle" with a certain school after paying up front.

Sometimes, discounts are available for advance payment and then it is best to pay with a credit card. If the school doesn't accept credit cards then that maybe enough to make you consider elsewhere. There are places that don't wan't the full money upfront for a PPL, Britannia is one of several.

What if you pay in full upfront and you find that flying is not for you? What do you think your realistic chances are of getting a refund?

InFinRetirement
15th Aug 2001, 12:02
From an old but hopefully wise head.

NEVER! If they want your money pay as you go but NEVER up front.....

NewBloke
15th Aug 2001, 12:34
Thanks very much. I guess that settles it then !! It's funny to have a thread where everyone actually agrees on the same thing ! ;)

NB.

humpty
15th Aug 2001, 13:21
Given that everyone is so agreeing, maybe it's time for a contrary opinion!

I'm learning to fly in the UK, and paid the whole lot upfront to save about 20% (using a credit card).

However, before I did it, I took several lessons with them and made damn sure that:
1. I liked flying (I did!)
2. They were not a total bunch of cowboys (although I'm not sure how I would have been able to tell if they were, at least with respect to the flying)

If that's too much of a risk (and it's all down to your own perception of risk, as with any 'investment'), how about buying a block of time? 10% off of £100 odd per hour makes a hell of a difference once totted up over 45-50 hours and what's the worst that can happen? You lose a grand which you then claim back from the credit card company.

Now about to start my first solo x-country if the weather holds up and have forgotten about the four and a half grand credit card bill (almost!) so it feels like I'm flying for free. Not looking forward to hour 46 though....

Magic!

Roadtrip
16th Aug 2001, 01:16
5000 for a PPL!!!??? You get a 737 type-rating with that?

NewBloke
16th Aug 2001, 14:12
That price includes accomodation for a month, equipment, exam fees etc....