PDA

View Full Version : B744 flight deck humidifiers

Zeus
18th Oct 2002, 14:07
Anybody know of any B744 operators that have disconnected the flight deck humidifiers recently?

:confused:

QAVION
18th Oct 2002, 21:39
Can't say I've noticed, Zeus.

They are prone to break down every now and then, however, filling up the cargo hold with water.

Why do you ask? (Some -400's don't even have this option. Other airlines are experimenting with different types. At least one of the newer types is using a permeable membrane to infuse moisture into the cockpit aircon ducting).

Rgds.
Q.

Zeus
18th Oct 2002, 22:05
Thanks QAVION,

My airline recently disconnected them on the grounds that they were causing dust deposits on the electrical contacts in the fire switches.

Curious, because I have not heard of any other airlines having this problem and from what I can make out everyone else is continuing to use them.

Sure do miss them on a long flight!

BlueEagle
19th Oct 2002, 03:32
From my own experience I would say they are quite necessary if you are involved in ultra long haul flying. If you know anyone who was crew on the original 747SP ask them what they thought of the long sectors, there were several reported cases of illness attributed to the lack of humidity at high altitude for long periods.

Wouldn't hurt to get your union, or representative body, to ask engineering for chapter and verse on this one and see if there is an alternative to just switching the system off.

spannersatcx
20th Oct 2002, 14:58
CX doesn't have them. :cool:

maxy101
21st Oct 2002, 08:16
Neither does BA now. A lot of flight crew notice the difference, especially in the sinuses. The company was more interested in the well-being of the mechanical machine rather than the human machine.

Zeus
21st Oct 2002, 17:18
Oh dear doesn't look very good then!

Sure do notice the change in air quality........:(