PDA

View Full Version : languages

Flying Spaniard
18th Oct 2002, 08:45
G'day,
Just a question to you all,
Do airlines in Oz apreciate pilots that speak languages like Spanish, Dutch, Russian?
Is it realy something they look at?
I suppose Dutch is very irrelevant in this country anyway?
Do pilots realy use their languages in aviation?
thanks for your time!

Hugh Jarse
18th Oct 2002, 10:00
Generally, no.

Good English is the go over here, mate. :D

An understanding of our colloquiallisms is advantageous also.

So, if you've got plenty of Oxford Scholars in yer skyrocket, and you can savvy the lingo, get yer arse over here. It's more fun than a barrel of monkeys....:D

Flying Spaniard
18th Oct 2002, 13:57
I will study the local lingo and make sure i have more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

I took an IQ test in English and getting highly unmotivated since it was only 108. I suppose a high level of English is required for pilots here, right?

CaptCaveman
18th Oct 2002, 22:07
Spainard,

With an IQ of 108 in a foreign language you've done rather well; the fact that you don't speak English to a high level isn't really a problem either.

I reckon that you're in front of any number of pilots in Oz that I've flown with who "aint rool smart n cant speak 'nlish rool gud, eh"; strangely most of them are Queenslanders.

Nothing like flying with a Queenslander to appreciate the evolution of man.

Flying Spaniard
19th Oct 2002, 00:56
Well that relieves me a bit!
Long way to go still but hopefully oneday!
Thanks for your input!

compressor stall
20th Oct 2002, 01:47
Capt Caveman...

Try living amongst 'em mate! ;)

CS

P.S. Flying Spaniard, languages are not really that useful on the airline level. AS a G.A. pilot in the tourist industry, it makes things easier and a lot more enjoyable if you have Euro pax. Would be a selling point for a company trying to sell tours as well....

Torres
21st Oct 2002, 20:29
God dam it! A pilot with an IQ in triple numbers! Now that is unique. :D :D

CaptCaveman. Don't cross the border, mate. We'll be waiting for you! :)

CaptCaveman
21st Oct 2002, 23:07
Torres,

You've just proved my point about Queenslanders, I've been forced to live up here for nearly 10 years, unfortunately, and they still haven't caughtup with me; that's why I can speak with some authority about Queenslanders.:D