PDA

View Full Version : British Airways 777 Pax Capacity?

Big_Yellow_Bird
18th Oct 2002, 03:46
Hi All,

Could anyone, particularly those of you with accurite information on BA aircraft, let me know the passenger capacity of the BA 777?

I find it so hard to get accurite information on the capacity of an airlines aircraft as no matter where you look, information always seems to differ.

So if you could, could you tell me the capacity of the BA 777s in their current configuration and if you know, what they will be in their new configuration?

If possible, could this be accurite info, not just intelligent guesses please? Just would like to get it right in my head. Where better to get the info than from BA pilots themselves

Thanks very much in advance for any help. ;)

Cheers

Chris

knobbygb
18th Oct 2002, 07:57
With old style 'cradle seats' ..... 14+56+40+125=235
With new style flat beds ..... 14+48+40+125=227
'A market' (G-ZZZA,B,C) ..... 17+70+148=235
High density ..... 28+352=380

I beleive there are three 'high density' a/c but not sure which ones. These may now have 'World Plus' as well.

I'm a pax, not pilot, by the way. I don't believe pilots see anything but row one anyway ;)

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
18th Oct 2002, 10:07
In the one in which my wife and I flew to Costa Rica from Gatwick I would say approximately twice the number which would be comfortable. Dreadful, dreadful aeroplane and without any doubt the worst commercial flight I have ever had..

knobbygb
18th Oct 2002, 20:17
Ah, that would be the high density ones then. Basically the same configuration in economy as a 747 with quite a bit less fusealge girth!

This is mentioned in a very round-about way in the timetable, but I bet most don't realise. This must give a very bad impression of BA for any first-timers.

They are used on carribean routes and Tampa, possibly others - I assume the thinking is that the 'bucket and spade' types (no offence intended) on these flights deserve no better. Vote with your wallet next time.

Hand Solo
18th Oct 2002, 22:03
The high-density 777s were being used on the old AML routes to the 'bucket and spade' destinations. AML is now history and I think the high density config is to go the same way. Can any 777 types confirm this?

Psr777
19th Oct 2002, 02:48
The high density BA 777's used by AML were, G-VIIO, G-VIIP & G-VIIR. They were configured 28J/355Y (10 abreast), 383 total.

They are now operated by BA mainline and the configuration has changed to a larger Club section and normal 9 abreast in World Traveller. They were converted between May and June this year and now have a total of 337 seats, not too sure about the breakdown though.

As far as I am aware, they are still flying the "Bucket and Spade" routes.

Hope this helps :p :p

Big_Yellow_Bird
19th Oct 2002, 03:49
Ok, seems to be a large amount of configurations.

Could anyone tell me which config is used on routes to the Middle East, ie...Dubai, Doha/Bahrain, Abu Dhabi, Muscat...

So far we have:

With old style 'cradle seats' ..... 14+56+40+125=235
With new style flat beds ..... 14+48+40+125=227
'A market' (G-ZZZA,B,C) ..... 17+70+148=235

And the high density aircraft reconfigured to.....337 Pax.

Are those the correct fugures for all the aircraft now?

Cheers

Tom the Tenor
19th Oct 2002, 13:00
Heathrow Director, I hope you and your wife at least enjoyed your time in Costa Rica if not the means of transit in the 777 from Gatwick. Visiting Costa Rica a few years was a rare treat for me so I look on her as having a special place in my thoughts.

Tomb Raider
19th Oct 2002, 18:20
The LGW 777's have 3 different configs,

The GE powered with reg's G-VII? have 14/56/194(club cradle seats) apart from G-VIIO,P & R, which have 42/292.The last row of 3 seats are never sold as these are crew rest seats.This, as has been said, would make a total of 337,with 9 abreast seating in Traveller as standard,as is pitch.These 3 a/c are only ever used on routes to Kingston,Tampa,Orlando and Carribean routes(except Barbados).Having said that the Antigua flights are often substituted with 3 class config when demand for First is high particularly in the winter.
There are also some RR powered ER 777's at LGW with reg's G-YMM? with configs of 13/56/187(cradle seats).The Flt crew and cabin crew bunk areas take the space of the missing seats.I think these maybe moved to LHR when PHX,SAN,DEN,HRE, LUN are moved at the end of Oct.

Knobby is correct on the configs of the a/c at LHR G-ZZZA,B,C.These are often used on Mid east routes as demand for premium seats is high,although not always.He is also correct on the other configs with flat bed Club seats.You will get one or the other on mid east routes.
Hope this helps......confusing though it is!!

320JI
20th Oct 2002, 21:13
Can i expect a bucket and spade 777 on my up an coming trip to IAD in December??

ExSimGuy
21st Oct 2002, 10:24
Not quite an answer to BYB's post, but I have flown both BA (RUH-LHR) and SV (RUH-JED) and found the seating in them quite comfortable every time.

brockenspectre
21st Oct 2002, 16:40
BA introduced the 777 to the TPA route and after "experiencing" the appalling lack of leg room, lack of butt room and general lack of room I decided that I would give my twice-a-year FL flights to other carriers. The best, to date, has been the Airtours Premium Cabin into Orlando Sanford ... plenty of leg/butt room, great service (odd that you get the freeby makeup bag on the return flight though!) and as just a couple of ££ more than the regular peasant-class BA into TPA really worth it!

If you are travelling to FL and intending on hiring a car (so the difference in arrival airport is relatively academic) I do recommend folks look at how the bucket-and-spade airlines do their Gold/Premium cabins ...

These days I am a little larger than life, as tall as ever but broader than before (I promise to rectify this!) and for me seat-width and pitch is vital!

:D