PDA

View Full Version : Aptitude tests and tea party advices

boeinglover
17th Oct 2002, 17:38
A very good morning to everyone and all,

I would appreciate it very much for advises as to what to look out for or pay particular attention to, during the SIA aptitude tests and tea party session.

I am looking forward towards all advises and please kindly allow me to mention a big "Thank you" in advance.

Warmest regards to all,

Cheers
:)

Lee
18th Oct 2002, 06:38
During the tea party, be very polite, address the Senior Captains as "Sir" and don't try to be a smart ass!

Don' t talk about politics, stray away from religion and never bad mouth SQ or another airline or their employees.

With that you stand a good chance. Oh, by the way, if you feel that you happen to feel that you are from a superior race to Asians, please don' t give them this impression. Otherwise, it's an aborted take-off to a pleasant (and I must add, the best) airline career with SQ!

Best wishes and no rude intentions to you or any one reading this reply. I have made it and thousands too, so I think you can too.

Best of luck.

Capt Lee

Sick Squid
18th Oct 2002, 13:20
Done 2 in my time, got through both.. no experience of the SIA one though, but some generic stuff I can give for sure.

Good advice above... to which I'd add be a social animal, move around, talk to people. If you do have a beer, please don't have too many.

Avoid controversial topics that cross boundaries; politics and religion being the two big ones, simply because you cannot guage the person you are speaking to.

Also, be very aware of the culture of the person you are speaking to.. Lee has given you an Asian perspective on that, may I add a complementary Western one; if you are talking to an Australian, please do not go cracking jokes about Australian foreplay consisting of "Brace yourself, Shelia!" or similar. Believe me, it happens.. person I am quoting directly there did not get the job. Funnily enough... ;) Similar applies to all cultures and countries....

Good luck. Best advice is simply to be yourself.. trite though it sounds, it will show, believe me.

£6

boeinglover
19th Oct 2002, 14:32
Hi Lee:

Excellent stuff you have provided and a big thanks to you in advance. Those are indeed fabulous advices not only to myself but also applicable to those in my present scenario as well.

Cheers

Hi Sick Squid:

Good add-on too !! Thanks alot. Very informative indeed, and I will bear those in mind especially the sensitive issues part.

Warmest regards

Slasher
26th Oct 2002, 06:06
Whatever you do pal for christs sake STAY off the grog with any SIA or CX tea-party. I blew it with CX many years ago (back in A-scale days) because I was sucked in to the champagne and friendley spirit of it all.

I didnt need a tea-party to get in but when I did my time with SQ the big-shots used to have this Friday afternoon flt ops p!ssup. These people gave a "we are one of the boys" impression. Very friendley with back-slapping and laughs. Unless you were extremely careful it was so easey to be baited. A few very very good expats lost there jobs through this, which was basicaly because the p!ssup was a weekly witch-hunt for any guailo bad-mouthing Stalag SQ. ANYTHING resembling negativity was recorded, witnessed, and put in your POW dossier at Core A Changi.

Most of us with any sense stayed away.

And yeh Lee is right. They say flattery is the food of fools so give them a huge bellyful of "Sirs", how great SQ is, etc and keep in mind the huge power-distance perception of anyone with his bum in the left seat and youll get on quite well. But dont forget for a second WHO the superior race of Asia really is because youll "fail" the next sim check if you do! Dont make suggestions for improvements or submissions to the Staff Ideas in Action scheme because youll be branded as an expat having an "attitude problem".

PS not meant to insult. I speak plainly and call it as I see it. And I saw (and survived unscathed) 2 loooong years!

Frying Dutchman
26th Oct 2002, 16:49
Try to contribute and listen to others at the same time during the aptitude tests. Don't feel shy about making silly comments or ideas cos I think they are assessing how you behave in a group. I believe one of the scenerio is to design an airport, so maybe you want to think about it the night before.

Other than the aptitude tests, just be extremely humble to everyone even if anyone's face turns you off!!

Best of luck.

"Shut your mouth. Know your role"

boeinglover
27th Oct 2002, 15:03
Hi Slasher.

Thanks for the the kind info and appreciate your advises. Will take note of all points mentioned.

Actually, I am a local not an expat as what many have mistaken to be all this while. Sorry about that as I feel more at ease without mentioning about nationality issues here which could be sensitive to some people.

Best regards

BL

:) ;)

Hi Frying Dutchman,

Indeed thats a new selection process which you have brought up for this topic. Thanks for the valuable info.

Initially thought and heard that its only aptitude and personality
tests on top of psychromotor test. When these are cleared, only then candidates will be invited to the final tea party session.
Or have the sequence of selection process been altered since?

Warmest regards,

BL

:rolleyes:

Frying Dutchman
1st Nov 2002, 14:03
Hi BL,

The pyschomotor tests will be taken in half a day while the aptitude and sit tests will be taken the next day morning follow by the balls dropping final interview and tea party in the afternoon. This whole affair is fixed no matter how you perform in the pyschomotor tests. Nobody really know whether those tests have any bearing on your chance of being selected.

FD

"Shut your mouth. Know your role."

boeinglover
1st Nov 2002, 18:20
Hi FD,

Thanks for the great hints.

Really appreciate it very much. I also have learnt that SQ is hoping to recruit more local cadet pilots ie. more preference is towards the Singaporeans. Any clues to that ?

Also how many intake does SQ conduct on the average every year?

If a candidate passed through the tea-party cum final interview and asked to go for medical checks, what is the % chance of getting selected for the cadet pilot program? Hoping that you could provide some answers to these enquries? Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

BL

Frying Dutchman
3rd Nov 2002, 05:32
According to what I have heard, yes they are recruitng more locals. Up to 200 a year I think.

Have you ever talk to friends who are SQ pilots and ask them abt the life in the company? It really sucks (oops)!

You would call the fellow in charge (i shall not name the person) the very next day after the tea party to check your int result. If you are asked to go for medical checkup, then you can safely be sure that you have been selected unless there's something wrong with your body (touch wood!).

When is your int?

boeinglover
3rd Nov 2002, 16:05
Dear FD,

A classmate of mine went through the intv last week and have just completed his medical. Actually posting this topic to assist my friend to get more information.

Now, he is just waiting for a reply from SQ on whether he is selected for the next cadet course or not. Thanks for your great assistance and advises, FD.

As for me I have just applied and just hoping to learn what is the whole process is like. Hoping to be selected as well.

Cheers

BL

New York Pilot
3rd Nov 2002, 16:32
I sincerely hope that you are selected and moreover you do well in their most demanding training program and you life dream comes through. As a Singaporean you do not have the options that us expats do but then again you get priority in getting into program where everything is paid for if you make the grade and that is something most of us have not been fortunate enough to have within our careers.

However, do NOT take it too hard if the heavy hand of SIA does not select you for there is nothing fair about the process. Many people in this forumn have read about my SIA experience in "Thoughts of an almost SIA Pilot."

Also, you lifes dreams and goals will change significantly as you grow older and you will realize things much more important than the self serving, but glorious, position of being an airline pilot. I lost a good friend on September 11 here in New York, in fact I withnessed it, and while I still fly for a living, its the time I am home that means even more to me now.

Please, be mindful that SIA is of the opinion that they can do anything they want and people will still want to fly for them. Somehow, I just do not feel that way...

May God bless you and all...

Slasher
4th Nov 2002, 04:13
NYP how the hell are ya mate! Good to see you again.

Lost my job in Nam last month (they got a cheap male aviation slut on 1/3rd my salary) and Im currentley on African safari. Thank christ for satcom as the internet isnt known around here! A few jobs on offer so far in Lagos and Kinshasa and Im workin my way up to UAE for Directorate jobs Ive heard comin up there.

Big US bucks in Africa if you dont mind livin in horible backward crapholes.

rgds
Slash
(unemployed bum of no fixed address)

New York Pilot
4th Nov 2002, 17:08
Slasher,

Hi! I am doing just fine. I got hired by the FAA in May 2002 as an Inspector and gave the notice to my landlord to move out to St. Louis only to have the U.S. Government place a hiring freeze because "congress" has not yet appropriated the funds. All the money is going for security now, I hope they still remember flying safety.

Still flying commuter but hope for a corporate slott soon.

Nice to hear from you too.

boeinglover
5th Nov 2002, 00:14
Dear NYP,

Great to hear from you and indeed very nice to know that you are doing fine.

FAA inspector ?? Very interesting !! I remembered that you have mentioned that you married a Singaporean spouse, right? Have you tried to apply for CAAS flight inspector ? I believe if you would one day prefer to live in singapore, this job might be the one for you or even as the starhub Airship pilot.

Thanks for your advises and interesting post for all to read.

Best regards,

BL :)

ClimbGodammitClimb
6th Nov 2002, 22:54
New York Pilot,

I'd like to correct your mis-impression that local ab-initio pilots in SIA get everything paid for. That's not true!! Everyone thinks SIA pays for the training; the truth is that the boys have to pay it back - S$18,000 for Singaporeans and S$30,000 for non-Singaporeans.

boeinglover
8th Nov 2002, 00:31
Hi CGC,

Very true indeed ! Thanks for mentioning this point out.

Cheers

BL

New York Pilot
9th Nov 2002, 01:29
That is right, I remember Capt. McCully telling me about everybody having to pay for the jet transition training. However, I think you missed the point all together...