PDA

View Full Version : Rotorheads meet at HAI 2003 Dallas?

greenarrow
16th Oct 2002, 18:53
Time to think ahead boys and girls. How about a meet and greet at the HAI Dallas in Feb for the ppruner's.
Any connections in the industry for cut price airfare London - Dallas rtn.
Maybe Sikorsky would lay on a few beers eh Nick!
Just a thought?

Hoverman
16th Oct 2002, 21:32
Good idea.
I've been thinking for some time it would be a good idea to arrange a Rotorheads meet.
Not everyone will be able to get to Dallas.
How about a Rotorheads bash in the UK before Christmas as a dry run? (Not literally!!)
Anyone else interested?
Where?
London usually works well from what I from people who've been to other Prune bashes. Any other/better ideas?
When?
A Friday evening?
Weekend lunchtime?

SASless
16th Oct 2002, 22:41
Count Nick out.....Lou would probably thrash him in public....and besides ol' Nick being an ex-Cobra pilot is a tee-totaller and thus would be no fun. There would be no story telling or loud and lewd behavioiur unless Nick could entice some cargo helicopter pilots to attend. Kind you help out there Nick?

Flying Lawyer
17th Oct 2002, 14:34
You've got me worried SAS.
Are you sure Nick's a tee-totaller? :confused:
Perhaps I'd had too many Jim Beams myself and didn't notice he wasn't drinking! ;)

Good ideas greenarrow and Hoverman.
I'm all for a UK rotorheads meet.

And the more I think about the Dallas trip, the more I'm persuaded it's essential practical research for helicopter cases.

SASless
17th Oct 2002, 15:03
FL....isn't the case....the most vehement denial oft times points to the truth? What is that old saying..." I doth think he protests too much!" Nick freely admits to being a Cobra pilot (which I am not sure I would admit in public) but really gets vocal saying he is not a teetotaler. He is probably a member of some underground Temperance movement and acts as a covert operative for them.

whirlyflyer
18th Oct 2002, 04:54
Bestfares.com has a special right now of $309 roundtrip from Dallas to London. Don't know if it works in reverse, but that is a really good price. :)

If a group of you wants to come, I'd be happy to pick you up at the airport. I was planning on going anyway, since I live here in Dallas, and lets face it, how often is this going to be in Dallas. :)

Whirlyflyer

md 600 driver
18th Oct 2002, 07:27
i am up for it any info on fares greatly appriated [spelt wrong] there are 6 of us

regards steve

Flight Safety
19th Oct 2002, 07:21
Does anyone know how to obtain day passes to get in? I would prefer not to pay the $75 a day (x2=$150 for the wife and I). It looks like the exhibitors can purchase the passes at 10 for $250. I'd gladly pay a willing exhibitor $50 for 2 passes.

whirlyflyer
19th Oct 2002, 14:15
The only problem I'd see is that the exibitor's name would be on the badge, thus they would need to know you and feel comfortable with their name on you. :)

Flight Safety
20th Oct 2002, 03:01
Whirly, OK. I promise my wife and I will wear nice clothes, I'll have a clean haircut and be clean shaven. I'll even drive to the event in a luxury car.

Will that work?

whirlyflyer
20th Oct 2002, 04:09
Flight Safety, I just noticed you live in Dallas. Send me a PM or e-mail so we can talk in private...

WF

Whirlybird
20th Oct 2002, 10:13
www.airline-network.co.uk has flights from both London and Manchester to Dallas at that time of year for £201 return (I put in 7th-14th Feb, but it's probably the same for other slight variations). There are loads of flights for very slightly more, if you leave it late and those get booked up. I used Airline Network this year for flights to Heli-Expo in Florida, and later to Los Angeles and Moscow; they're very helpful, and will find accommodation and car hire if you want it. I tend to check the flights on the web, then phone them, so you can get info like that from a Real Person. If you have a choice, American Airlines have loads of leg room in economy; don't know about the others.

Whirly-Girls, of which I'm a member, had reduced price tickets for Heli-Expo last year, but I don't know if I can get extra ones. If I can I'll let everyone know.

I'm trying to work out how to get to Dallas for Heli-Expo and the Whirly-Girls annual "hovering", then do some fixed wing flying (Whirly hides her head in shame) with a friend in Florida for a few days. Do any of you across the pond know how much it would cost and how long it would take to fly from Dallas to anywhere in Florida? Or would driving it be remotely sensible. Or is the distance/cost too much for it to be sensible to do it all in one trip anyway?

whirlyflyer
20th Oct 2002, 17:28
Whirlybird,

Driving from Dallas to Flordia would be a tough drive, but you could do it. You'd probably want a second person with you to trade off so you could drive nearly non-stop, but it would still take 18 to 22 hours depending on where in Flordia you were going, and that is driving non-stop. It is about 1,200 miles.

Check out BestFares.com (http://www.bestfares.com/) for cheap tickets. You can get it for about $200 round trip.

WF

Heliport
20th Oct 2002, 18:20
I've used http://www.hoteldiscount.com for US trips quite a few times over the past couple of years and found them to be very good.