PDA

View Full Version : TV card reception

okeydokey
16th Oct 2002, 13:43
Im interested in buying a new graphics card with TV but have noticed some TV outs give poor pic quality in good reception areas.
I'm running an AMD 700, 512MB SDRAM on windows ME. Currently 32mb graphics looking to go to 64 or 128.
Any suggestions on what card to get and should I always expect poor quality with a tv out.

Squiddley
16th Oct 2002, 16:50
To be honest you won't get better than you telly...though in fairness, TV capture cards do a good job: it's hard to tell the difference.

Generally speaking, Pinnacle Systems (http://www.pinnaclesys.com/TVViewing.asp?Langue_ID=10) have very highly regarded products. I bought one a couple of years ago, after lengthy searching and thinking. They did fall down on WinME support though, but I believe that has been addressed.

Basically you have a choice between PCI and USB versions. So cut your cloth so to speak. I should imagine a PCI card would suit the setup you describe. You can use a regular signal booster if necessary, and try to keep the cable as short as practical.

Graphics card wise, there are (were as at June 2002) no programs in the offing that even approached needing more than 64MB of video RAM, so don't waste the wonga if you don't have it to spare. Also be aware of the differences in graphics chipsets. An hour spent at Anandtech.com or Tomshardware.com would be well spent. Bottom line though is the graphics card doesn't play all that much of a role in picture quality... it's the tuner. Of course, digital TV is a different ball game and I can only share analogue experience.

Hope this is of some help.

okeydokey
17th Oct 2002, 13:52
Thanks for the post squid.
Are you saying i should get a card that is separate from my graphics card, not sure. I was of the impression that tv capture came with a graphics card. If not i would probably keep the 32mb card and just buy a tv card separately.

Flyswift
17th Oct 2002, 16:17
You can get either a combi card or just the TV card. If you are happy with your 32mb graphics card, and have a free PCI then but the seperate H/W. Makes more sense to me ;)

FS

Background Noise
17th Oct 2002, 16:56
Just to be sure - are you wanting to watch TV on your computer, or output to a Tv or capture TV or video?

A separate TV card (eg Hauppauge or Pinnacle) in your PC should give reasonable picture quality, comparably to a TV using the same aerial - but in a resizable window which can be displayed while you work. If you want great picture quality it may be worth getting a digital TV card (either terrestrial or satellite) - I think a Hauppauge Win TV Nova-t will be my next toy!

(PS - you'd need to check your digital reception in your area)

amanoffewwords
17th Oct 2002, 19:02
I've got one of the Hauppage variety - picture quality just as good as a TV - though I'm using a portable aerial so it can be temperamental (esp. Ch. Five).

I would say that if you go for it, make sure it supports Nicam stereo - mine's mono - it's ok but a little dull. Some also allow you to see Telexext and capture the data thereof - can be quite handy sometimes.

A final note is that if you are connecting it to an outside aerial I would hook it up to to a surge protector...just for insurance.

Cheers
amofw

okeydokey
18th Oct 2002, 13:25
Thanks all for your replies.
Background, yes I'm just refering to using this to view TV on my PC. I like the idea of a resizeable window, think i'll get a separate capture card.
Any further advice is always welcome.

Background Noise
18th Oct 2002, 20:37
Its just terminology. A capture card is for capturing video eg from a video camera or from a vcr. I think what you want is a tv tuner card ie stick your aerial in the back and then watch tv. (Most tuner cards, however, will also have a capture facility)