PDA

View Full Version : FTS Tamworth - precourse study

jofus
16th Oct 2002, 13:18
Hi,

I have recently found this forum and hope it may be of assistance.

I am off to Tamworth (BAe) shortly for the ADF two week selection to (hopefully) become a military aviator (that is if FTS ever get back to me with a date...). I was hoping someone out there could answer the following:

- What (apart from that covered on the ADF pages) does the two weeks entail?

- When rating "profiles" are referred to, what exactly are they?

- What would you recommend as best possible preparation (given I am likely to have only single digit hours)? Especially, any highly recommended books/periodicals.

- Being that the course is conducted in a tri-service environment, is it possible to apply for the RAAF and end up in the Army?

- Do helicopter hours count the same as fixed wing hours - is there a difference?

- Is it worthwhile memorising the 24(?) current aircraft in use by the ADF, their wingspans, ranges, load capacity, etc. or would this time be better used learning meterology, aero-dynamics, air law, etc. ?

- Is there anything in general advice you could offer?

Woomera
16th Oct 2002, 22:51
Jofus, I have removed your duplicate threads in the other forums to save a bit of server space. This forum would be the most appropriate palce to get the answers you're seeking.

Regards from W.

RPPT
17th Oct 2002, 00:04
jofus,

Check your private msg's.

Pass-A-Frozo
18th Oct 2002, 02:34
I think you'll find that you put in your preference (say RAAF), and if you do well enough and the RAAF want you, that's what you'll get. Say the RAAF is taking 20 on the next course, and your number 30 on the RAAF list, then the Army and Navy can offer you a spot. You don't have to take it - you can say "No thanks, I'll wait for an RAAF spot".

PAF

PAJG
18th Oct 2002, 07:46
RPPT, I assume that you have answered jofus in your private message. Would it be possible for you to send me the same answer? thanks in advance.

Peter Gow
Australian Air Force Cadets

Arm out the window
18th Oct 2002, 08:41
jofus,

I wouldn't get too het up about memorising details about various aircraft types, although you should have a basic knowledge about the service you're aspiring to join, what it has and what it does.
The main area that I'd suggest you think about is the effects of controls and aerodynamics surrounding the basic flying syllabus, eg. climbing, descending, straight and level, stalling, circuits, basic aerobatics such as loops and barrel rolls, etc.
Obviously if you don't have any reference books from the training organisation you won't be able to learn speeds, power settings and so on for their aircraft, but keep in mind it's the flying side of things that will stand you in good stead.
That being the case, you need a good understanding of what you're trying to achieve in each sortie.
Also, try to think about the flying you have already done, and see if you have been using visual attitudes to control the aircraft - eg. when you transition from the climb to straight and level, do you look outside to set up an attitude, or do you push until the altimeter stops going up? If it's the latter, make sure you try your best to learn the old 'power plus attitude equals performance' equation, and translate it into reality by always setting an attitude, rather than chasing the performance instruments.
And, look out and balance!

desert goat
22nd Oct 2002, 00:14
Hi RPPT
I'm in the same boat as jofus and PAJG-could you help me out too?
Cheers:)

RPPT
22nd Oct 2002, 02:05
jofus,

Neither of your e-mail addresses seem to be working. Did you get my private msg?

desert goat,

Check your private msg's.