PDA

View Full Version : Progression through GA?

Trumpetter
16th Oct 2002, 05:22
Hi all,

I'm just curious as to the progression through GA at the moment. If you're lucky enough to find that first job does it all get easier from there in terms of maybe getting some twin work, or some IFR charter? Or is the process relatively slow with the second and third jobs being just as hard to get as the first?

Also I'm not sure if this is the right sub-forum, but what's the progression like from GA through to the regionals? Are they hiring at the moment? What sort of hours would you need for them?

Anyone out there who was lucky enough to land a job with the regionals recently? Any info greatly appreciated.

Trumpetter

18-Wheeler
16th Oct 2002, 05:40
I've never gotten a job from an interview, it's always people that know me.
Get to know as many people as you can, but without brown-nosing.
Be honest.
Be professional.
Be reliable.

Hugh Jarse
16th Oct 2002, 09:59
Trumpetter,
I can't speak for the whole regional airline industry here, but we've been mainly looking at the current turboprop multi crew experienced pilots that have been on the market since 14 Sept last year.

Not saying that I agree entirely with that philosophy.:rolleyes:

However, over the last 2 months we have been looking at G/A pilots again as part of the mix. IMHO this is a good thing, as experience has shown that both have a lot to offer us, experience-wise.

The best advice I can offer you is to build your multi hours on IFR operations and pass your ATPL theory ASAP (if you already haven't done so). Apply to all the airlines and follow-up (if that is possible).

Good luck!

Willie Nelson
20th Oct 2002, 00:28
Progression is still happening with GA,

I had very little time other than single time before obtaining the job I am currently in.

I started flying singles with this company some time after September 14th and I am now flying twins. Many have told me that the single to twin step is just as hard, if not harder than finding that first job.

I have done it and while I feel that I am still some time off my ultimate goal, I am so close to having made it I am over the moon.

I had been flying singles for what seemed an eternity and I received so many crushing blows trying to get on to twins that I didn't know whether it was ever going to happen. I had so many job offers after a while from companies that ONLY flew singles, it became a bit frustrating.

I never though for a second about giving up!

The amount of people that told me years ago "stick with it and you will get there"

You Bloody Beauty, it's true

Willie

otaio
20th Oct 2002, 04:34
At the moment I am recruiting pilots for the company I work for, I have to agree with 18 wheeler.

Get to know people.

We don't advertise, and have not recruit somebody from an un-solicited CV in at least 2 years.

If I need a pilot I ask the CP to give me a list of people he knows and trusts who fill our needs. Then we interview one or two.

We realise that in a charter organisation the pilots want us as a stepping stone to an RPT job. So the best way to get a job is to be honest about your intentions and be loyal while you are with the company.

We make money from you guys but you get those vital hours and experience from us.