PDA

View Full Version : What do I study for a QF interview?

campdog3
16th Oct 2002, 01:56
I guess the topic name says it all... I am about to undertake the biggest step of my career and apply to QF. I am hoping to get an interview but I have know idea of the depth and actual content I should be focusing on. I have gone over the Qf website, inflight magazines, plus gone over atpl notes, handling the big jets etc. but what kind of questions can I expect. I would appreciate any feedback anyone might have not matter how minor. Cheers

Captain Slug
16th Oct 2002, 02:33
If you are quietly confident of getting an interview you obviously know the right people, so you should have a fair idea of what to study. :D

campdog3
16th Oct 2002, 03:06
captain slug... message edited... any feedback now?

Ref + 10
17th Oct 2002, 02:14
They can ask basically anything you can think of.

Expect a couple of questions about the type of aircraft you now fly, a couple of technical questions (like you would get in an IR renewal), current affairs (recently I heard someone was asked who the president of Papua new Guinea was!!??) and also personal questions (what do the pilots you work with do together on days off, do you play any sports). Questions about Qantas go without saying. Latest ones I heard fo were about the 737-800's. Capacity and engine types, etc.

I've known a few people who are in now and although I'm not one of them then basic rule that they told me is know your plane, yourself and the rules. Reading the paper each day helps too for those current affairs questions apparently.

REF

campdog3
17th Oct 2002, 23:20
ref + 10. Cheers for your reply. Another question that seems to arise and that I am having difficulty answering is what are the discreet differences between similar type aircraft. I have heard people talk about position of cowls, stickers on the engines etc but am not able to confirm this information. Do you know of any source that would help me answer these questions. Your feedback is appreciated...

Ref + 10
18th Oct 2002, 01:12
Haven't heard of that before............ if it's true I'd think that it could be a bit of over-kill. Knowing where different stickers are on planes seems like a bit of a "plane-spotter" question to me.

Would love to know what type aircraft that refers to if it turns out to be true.

*Lancer*
18th Oct 2002, 05:29
campdog, they might ask the difference between a -200 / -300 767, or Classic and 744 etc, but haven't heard something that specific before!

Don't know if anyone has mentioned the behavioural questions, and how you have dealt with different real-world examples.

Lancer

campdog3
18th Oct 2002, 08:18
Lancer,
Any further info would be appreciated. I have gotten some books out from the local library titled, "How to pass professional psychometric exams", "1001 psychomtric evaluations" etc but am not sure if this will prepare me to an acceptable level or if there is something else I should be doing. Hate to sound overly fanatical but I do want to give it my best shot

*Lancer*
20th Oct 2002, 04:05
Campdog, you'll probably find that people's opinions on how to study for psych exams and interviews varies...

I'm of the opinion that you are who you are! At best, books like the ones you have mentioned can help you figure out exactly who that is :)

The testing is reasonably long and fatiguing... and honesty is the best policy. The computer, and the interviewers accept that 'perfect' is a balance of everything.

I reckon the best way to prepare yourself is to study (and read heaps) for the simple questions you know you'll get (Qantas/Current Affairs/Flying etc), and positively think about different aspects of yourself as both a professional, and a person.

Lancer

campdog3
21st Oct 2002, 12:04
Just a quick note to thank all of those who replied and gave advice on this topic. All the info is much appreciated and has helped focus my studies. All that is left to do is study my arse off, cross my fingers and pray like mad...

Cheers Campdog

woftam
22nd Oct 2002, 02:07
Good luck mate!
The answers and tips above seem to sum it up.
Be yourself and don't B/S. If you don't know the answer,SAY SO!
Oh,and spend a few hours in the sauna with a uniform jacket on in preparation for the line training.
:D

dghob
23rd Oct 2002, 00:34
campdog3

You're probably already aware of this but psych tests are structured in a way that for the most part take into account candidates' attempts to give the "right response". Some actually provide a report to the test administrators that tell them the extent to which the candidate has tried to present him/herself in a certain way, eg, "popular", determined", "loyal", etc. As others have said just be yourself and don't spend too much time thinking about the responses.

Good luck!:)