PDA

View Full Version : All those African BAC 1-11s!

mrshubigbus
15th Oct 2002, 21:54
As a pilot and keen aviation enthusiast, especially interested in those BAC 1-11s, noise and all, I would be very grateful if anyone on this forum would be able to tell me what is happening with the 50 or so aircraft that are based in Nigeria and beyond!
Are they all still grounded? are some flying as freighters? If anyone sees any during their travels would they please let me know.

Boss Raptor
19th Oct 2002, 07:58
All grounded...I understand...

JJflyer
19th Oct 2002, 18:46
Thereīs one sitting in Libreville, Gabon. A VIP machine. Looks like it was in a very good shape before a gear up (partial ?) landing. it has a lot of additional skin "wrinkling" in the rear fuselage as the slings used when removing it from RWY where too small. A shame as it was a pretty birdy.

I saw another from distance in Kinshasa, no clues as to who it belongs.

As Boss Raptor said those in Nigeria seem to be grounded. They had a tendency of falling out of the sky at the most inconvenient places with alarming regularity.

Republic of South Africa is the the promised land for the BAC111. Nationwide operates a sizeable fleet. I gather that they operate these around Mozambique as well as in Zambia and Botswana.

My only exposure to the BAC111 has been in the simulator. A school in US required all students that came for their type rating training first to complete an evaluation in the BAC111 sim. Most notable feature was the lack of electric trim on the yoke. Trimming was accomplished with a wheel on the center pedestal.

ZAZOO
21st Oct 2002, 21:09
So tell us then JJ :rolleyes: you say we had a tendency of falling out of the sky at the most inconvenient places with alarming regularity in our BAC 1-11s.

Tell us how many fell and in what place :eek:

As Boss said mrshubigbus all our 1-11s are all grounded here, quite sad though.

Mobotu
21st Oct 2002, 22:01
JJFlyer - There is only one operating BAC 1-11 still flying in Congo for the Presidence - VIP 25 seats - owned by Air Katanga - Used to fly Kabila Father around Africa when he lost Mobuto's 727 and had no plane. South African Captain ex Nationwide flying it since 3 months now.....

Other than that 2 complete and 1 derelict BAC standing in Kin for Hewa Bora (Congo Airlines) - could be placed back in service soon if country re-unified - (Hey - one can only dream!)

Cheers

JJflyer
22nd Oct 2002, 09:05
26 Jun 1991: Okada Air BAC-111; Sokotu, Nigeria

18 Sept 1994: Oriental Airlines BAC-111; Tamanrasset, Algeria

4 May 2002: EAS Airlines BAC111; Lagos, Nigeria

There have been fatal 10 accidents of BAC-111 since the early 1970īs. This is not too bad. Statistics however do not show incidents.

Guess my choise of words was bad. Leave the "Alarming regularity" out. So BAC-111īs only had a tendency of falling out of the sky.

ZAZOO
22nd Oct 2002, 19:23
Okay JJ and thanks for your last post here. :D :D

Your a gentleman ;)

Zazoo

Treetopflyer
26th Oct 2002, 17:33
The one in Libreville, Gabon actually crossed runway 16 threshold with a 200-some knots Vref in Fall 2001. It has been standing on the 'sick aeroplanes ramp' since then, and its operator (Chrome Air of Nigeria) does not seem to show interest in putting it back in the air. Too bad...

As for the ones in Nigeria, they were still flying in June on my last Lagos stop; but I understand they have been grounded since, as you guys say.

JFO
3rd Nov 2002, 06:49
Just noticed this topic! Nationwide (South Africa) claims to have 11 BAC 1-11s, but there is only one BAC 1-11-400 flying at present (mostly Johannesburg to Durban or East London), with threats of a BAC 1-11-500 reappearing soon.

SA-CAA AIC 18.3 seems to say that all BAC 1-11s have to be phased out by 31 December, 2002. Nobody can clarify, though.

Who has control?
7th Nov 2002, 10:47
I flew in a BAC 1-11 from Aswan (Egypt) to Abu Simbel in January 2001. It was an ex-TAROM aircraft, the flight crew were all Roumanians so I suspect the aircraft might have been on leased.

I think the airline was 'Princess Air' or something similar.

AfricanSkies
10th Nov 2002, 13:22
There are several Nationwide BAC1-11's standing derelict and engineless at Lanseria..probably about five. I have only ever seen one parked on the Delta apron at JIA.