PDA

View Full Version : What the hell do all these numbers mean !?!?

Bleep
15th Oct 2002, 19:02
Hi,

Don't know if anybody can help me, but I am intrigued as to what all the numbers mean on Optician's reports ! I have just had an eyesight test as a preliminary step required before a sponsorship interview (I have a class 1 medical, but it requires renewal), and have been given the following info :

Right Eye :-
Sphere : +0.50
Cyl : - 0.50
Axis : 90

Left Eye :-
Sphere : +0.50
Cyl : - 0.75
Axis : 80

VA :-
Right Eye 6/5 +3
Left Eye 6/6

Unaided :-
Right eye 6/4 -2
Left Eye 6/5 -3

:confused: :confused:

I think this should be okay for renewal, as she stated that "no prescription is required" on my report, and my eyes were okay by the CAA last check. Can someone confirm this, as well as an explanation of all these measurements !! As previously mentioned, more intrigued than anything.

Many thanks,

Bleep.

Cool_Hand
23rd Oct 2002, 18:21
This link should answer most of your questions,

http://www.specsavers.co.uk/cgi-bin/strudwick.sh/WService=swickbr/cgi/showPage.p?langid=1&pfmt=1&siteid=22&pname=eyetest.html

click on 'about your prescription'

with regards to VA,

[I'll stand corrected in response to the post below!]

Dr Jekyll
27th Oct 2002, 09:18
6/5 Means that you can read at 6 metres what someone with 'normal' vision can only read at 5 metres.

The definition of 'normal' (6/6) vision is somewhat arbitary.
Anyone with no significant refraction errors, or corrected refraction errors, should do better than 6/6 on a good day.

If the second number is higher than the first your eyesight is imperfect. 6/9, otherwise expressed as 20/40 is the limit for driving in some US states and is not a problem for most purposes.

Anything better than 6/5 is very good, anything worse than 6/9 means you certainly need glasses.