PDA

View Full Version : McAfee causing problems

DX Wombat
15th Oct 2002, 16:52
Does anyone else have trouble with McAfee? I have WME, and McAfee Anti-virus and Firewall. Recently I needed to reformat the hard drive so needed to reload the McAfee programmes. During the two or three days without the McAfee the computer ran beautifully, no problems, no clogging up of memory, just great. :)And then I reloaded the McAfee :mad: :eek: problems appeared immediately.:mad: exceptions requiring close down, memory being clogged up and slowing internet access to an eventual standstill, keyboard freezing more frequently than usual. I have a friend with W98 and McAfee and she too has problems with it - I can't be specific about the nature of these as I don't know what they are exactly. I am seriously thinking of ditching the McAfee and getting something like Sophos or Norton. Anyone any ideas? :confused:

P.Pilcher
15th Oct 2002, 17:08
As a result of a tip from this BB I installed the Grisoft system. It is totally free - including updates issued about fortnightly unless a devastating new virus suddenly appears. It has banged in for me a few times to warn me not to open suspect e-mail attachments, and apart from that seems to have little if any effect on the speed of my ancient tried and trusty P161 equipped machine.

Click here for further information. (www.grisoft.com)

stickyb
16th Oct 2002, 06:58
There are lots of known issues with the software. Make sure you update to the latest version available on theor web site, and apply some of the hot fixes. Then it seems to be ok.
There is certainly known problem currently around wit it cuasing bsod and hang ups.

BlueRobin
16th Oct 2002, 09:46
McAfee has always been a resource hog. I've used it on and off for about 5 years and their style of implementation has been consistent in this regard.

There is an engine patch here (http://www.nai.com/naicommon/download/enginehotfix.asp) that could help your resource problems.

I've also had problems uninstalling it, but that's another story.

I use Norton Antivirus (corp edition). Easier in system load, easier to update and detects viruses better in Outlook.

In my opinion of course :rolleyes:

DX Wombat
16th Oct 2002, 18:36
Thanks everyone. I will keep a note of the freebie and also download that patch. This computer has 128MB RAM, hardly any of which has been used as I am still reloading programmes. I was very annoyed to find I was getting the "There is not enough memory to run this application please close etc" messages within half an hour of reloading the McAfee and logging on to the internet.:mad: and that was before I reloaded MS Office - heaven knows what it will do now :rolleyes: :( :eek: As far as I know I downloaded the latest update from the McAfee website so there should be no problem there - or at least in theory :rolleyes: I will let you know what happens.;)

brockenspectre
16th Oct 2002, 18:44
I had similar problems last year and when I contacted McAfee was advised that it was the Firewall product "interacting" with AOL my ISP ... I uninstalled the Firewall and since then all has worked perfectly. I buy the McAfee Clinic each year and have found updates and stuff excellent ... just the Firewall was a snag!

Mind you - I am always grumbling at how slow my puter is and am blaming all the £$%* that starts on StartUp which I don't know how to prevent!! ... duh!

:D

BlueRobin
17th Oct 2002, 09:00
Wombat, I see you have Windows ME? If so, read this (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69865). Your problem may not just be the one thing! :eek:

DX Wombat
17th Oct 2002, 09:34
Thanks for that Robin, I'm not too sure what I can do about the ME side of the problem although the problems really only arose once the McAfee was installed, prior to that everything was fine. :( Thanks for the advice though. :)

BlueEagle
17th Oct 2002, 11:24
I use Zone Alarm firewall with Norton Anti-Virus, no problem.

Zone Alarm and McAfee, BIG problems, (using WinME on a laptop).