PDA

View Full Version : System Resources

Scallywag
15th Oct 2002, 12:55
I know windows OS is renowned for poor memory management. can anyone help with this one.

My old pc is P3 450Mhz with 192mb RAM using Windows Me. On initial boot I have around 90% system resources free. Once it's been on a while just surfing/word processing, it gets down as low as 24%. Even on closing programmes down it doesn't free up much above 50%. Is there anyway to give it a boot to free up resources. Should I change virtual memory settings which are currently left to windows to sort out. Or is there a decent tweak programme out there. Help :confused:

BlueRobin
15th Oct 2002, 15:17
Your problem is quite simple. The problem is Windows Me. Seriously. I'm not being anti-Windows version X here. I found here at work that WinMe is a resource hungry OS. So much so that when I queried it with a Dell engineer once, he told me that they had had so many problems with it, that they quietly withdrew the policy of pre-installing it with new systems.

No amount of tweaking can help this puppy. Go back to Win98 or proceed to Win2000 or XP. Collect £200.

Scallywag
15th Oct 2002, 17:41
I did wonder about ME as the other machine is fine running on XP. Unfortunately, the discs supplied on the XP machine are for that unit only. Guess that means buying upgrade disc.