PDA

View Full Version : Qantaslink to get more jets

15th Oct 2002, 07:05
Dear all, I am a new member and therefore making a post for the very first time ... so please be gentle:)

The rumour I came accross today was that apparently plans are in place for 2 to 4 more 717's in the early part of next year (that is first quarter).

This information was provided by relevant enough sources however, I also heard from guys getting back from the states (couple of months ago), that there are no more 717's sitting in the desert and as a result new jets are to be acquired from Boeing ... who apparently have a lenghty waiting list.

Has anyone heard anymore regarding this topic ? ? ?

2FarCanard
15th Oct 2002, 09:18
Heard same last week. However the number was 3 within 6 months. Source was high up in Qlink/ airconnex management.

apacau
15th Oct 2002, 11:53
Any idea as for routes?

Canberra remains an ideal 717 destination and with an empty hangar here built for 717 maintenance, I contend that it is only a matter of time.

topend3
17th Oct 2002, 06:45
yes, i believe that is correct, qf announced an order for 6 additional of type around the end of august and they will come on line late this year/early next year i believe.

as for the routes they seem to be employing them on the secondary leisure markets, into cooly, rocky, hobart/launy etc.

it seems a foregone conclusion that when the 146's become history that the 717 will be the sole jet in the qflink fleet.

Airspeed Ambassador
17th Oct 2002, 07:02
it seems a foregone conclusion that when the 146's become history that the 717 will be the sole jet in the qflink fleet

The 717 is a good ship but IMHO I think we will see the Embraer 170/175/190 in Oz eventually. With seating from 70-106 seats, the jungle jet family would give QF flexibility that the 106 seat 717 could not give alone. Whatever the case, the flying public will be the winner once the 146 is retired!

AA

topend3
17th Oct 2002, 08:45
yes airspeed, you may well be right and i would tend to agree that the 717 while being a real success may not be totally suited to ALL of qflinks routesespecially those across the top - cns-drw for example, where a smaller aircraft may be a better option.

will be interesting to see what happens regardless.

17th Oct 2002, 09:06
Folks, further to topend3's post - last week the CFO of QF (who's name escapes me) did the annual Geoff Dixon roadshows (as Geoff was sick ! ! !) and from all reports advised those who attended that the 737-800's will replace the 717 routes and the B146 routes will be replaced by the B717's.

I am not trying to stir the pot with the B146 guys but this is what I have been told and honestly do feel sympathetic to the chaps who may lose their jobs but, hope that they are integrated on the 717's. This may not be a bad result at all since Airconnex/Impulse employees now are entitled to QF staff travel as well as the profit share scheme.

Also Airspeed, there are no 717's with 106 seats. There is a combination between 117/115 old fleet and 102 (6) new fleet. However, as of next month all 717's will be either 117 or 115 seaters. Furthermore, I do agree that with the aforementioned plans ... the 717's may be too big for some of the old 146 routes ! ! !

Times will tell :eek:

Dan Kelly
18th Oct 2002, 00:01
A recent spate of wagers prompts me to offer a carton of Crownies that says the pax appeal of the Jungle Jet will not come close to that of the Fruitbat!

It will in some ways be akin to the KD's introduction of the CRJ, where the difference in cabin size was not all that welcome by the pax.

lightandvariable
18th Oct 2002, 08:16
Well the rumours are there but having my finger on the pulse (excuse the pun), I have seen no evidence of anymore 717's turning up in the near future. If there is then it is maybe in the "possibility stage". If Pulse management know anymore than that, they are certainly keeping pretty quiet about it.:cool:

backspace
18th Oct 2002, 08:25
Just out of curiousity, can anyone tell me what the pay scales are like on the 717 fleet.

ditzyboy
19th Oct 2002, 07:53
Dan K....
Last time I checked the 717 is larger than the 146. They also have 100% fresh air in the cabin, MUCH bigger overhead bins and are a lot newer than the 146s. Oh and they get you there quicker and don't break down as much. The new 717s also have a larger J cabin (not that it's used right now or maybe at all?) 34" pitch in Y, a very large coat cupboard, more toilets per passenger and a higher FA to pax ratio. Oh I I just do the coffee but I seem to remember something about the 717s not costing as much to operate as the 146??? Not to mention that some don't like the oil smell.....

Don't get me wrong I loved the Ansett 142's. They were great to fly on as a pax but the 146's time has come.

topend3....
Why would a 717 be too big for DRW-CNS when QF fill a 734 and a 143 (via GOV) every day?

Douglas Mcdonnell
19th Oct 2002, 07:54
I have also heard stories about further expansion early next year with the need for more crews. There might be a short wait for new aircraft due to the desert surplies being exhausted. Have heard about new routes into NT WA and QLD. Backspace the pay scales arent too bad which equals a comfy existance.
I am looking forward to getting stuck into those Darwin stubbies VERY shortly.

GAFA
19th Oct 2002, 10:10
ditzyboy,

I think you will find Dan was talking about the passenger appeal of ERJ170. The RJ's from Embraer are know as "Junglejets" due to the fact they come from Brazil.

Dan Kelly
20th Oct 2002, 02:26
You beat me to it.

Bet still stands. :D

HOBAY 3
21st Oct 2002, 01:52
Well, if this is the case, QF are certainly getting more creative. Will this be another route that gets dropped/reduced after a few months operation? Take a look at the history of "thin" 717 routes:

1) Syd-Mky - dropped (from 3/week)
2) Hba-Ool - dropped (from 2/week)
3) Adl-Ool - reduced from daily to weekend only
4) Syd-Rok - reduced from 4/week to 2/week (only to cycle
through the aircraft that operates the Bne-Rok services!)
5) Syd-Ppp - reduced from 4/week to 2/week (weekend only)
6) Syd-Tsv - reduced from 10/week to daily

Or will these routes be reintroduced???

In fact, the only sector (of the ones introduced when the batch of 6 717s arrived) that remains unchanged is Mel-Mcy (still daily).

Douglas Mcdonnell
21st Oct 2002, 04:13
Hobay, new routes west and North west will be the order of the day. I can taste that first Darwin stubbie already!!

pullock
21st Oct 2002, 15:36
I am looking forward to the Darwin posting as well dude, but I thinks it too early to confuse my desires what I think is likely to be happening as far as new routes.

If the top end was on the cards, it would have happened by now.........

Douglas Mcdonnell
21st Oct 2002, 23:10
Pullock Im an optimist. I want bigger beer bottles.

ditzyboy
21st Oct 2002, 23:14
Dan K....
I apologise for my ignorance :) Yes you are probably right. But who cares what the customer thinks? QF don't! :)

Bring on any trip with a slip in DRW! I am so over LST and NTL trips!

spagiola
25th Oct 2002, 17:05
Well, if QF are going to get more 717s, they won't come from the ex-TWA/AA batch. All the remaining stored aircraft in that batch have been spoken for by AirTran (http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/021023/sfw103_1.html).

HOBAY 3
26th Oct 2002, 06:55
Can someone go way over the top and lay this out fully. Are we talking DRW-GOV-CNS, PER-AYQ/ASP-CNS as well as PER-KGI/KTA/PHE/BME/PBO/ZNE etc. What about other "connectors" like MEL-ASP or BNE-ASP. What about Intra-QLD. BNE-HTI,PPP,TSV? Will ROK,MKY be all 717 or still some 146? What about the services I mentioned in my last post that have been dropped? Was this due to lack of aircraft or lack of passengers? Someone must know!!!

:rolleyes:

toojaded
26th Oct 2002, 16:05
also new member

reading prune for a long time now. thought i might jump in and stir the pot a bit. absolutely a personal perspective.

also heard rumours of 4 new 717's.

thoughts of probable short term future (discounting another entrant) go like this.

146's will be phased out as leases expire. too old and unreliable though have done a sterling job and undoubtably contributed to QF's dispatch of an.

probable closure of 146 east coast bases as lease's expire (RK today, MK jan, BN end 2003 ? CB see earlier post this topic)

introduction of new regional jets will see end of 717's in OZ (not definite but view it from an accountant's perspective)

lowest bidder for regional QF operation will see even lower terms and conditions for the jungle jet drivers (what will your family's lifestyle be on 90k?)

njs or impulse will match terms to stay in the job and impulse keeps east coast, njs to west and top end.

suits qf to keep 2 companies running against each other to drive costs to absolute minimums. great for the shareholders. unfortunately the accountants seem to have forgotten about the safety aspect of flight operations.

Ansett kept us all honest and in a job. Now with traditional early decade downturn the boot is on managements collective feet and NO ONE is invulnerable.

PREDICTION-once regional bottom line is determined mainline drivers are next to be targeted.

SOLUTION-as professionals we will remain easy game until we achieve viable and united representation.

Don't count on those big stubbies yet Douglas, 146 is still cost effective for the accountants and still enjoys excellent public appeal. 4 still outguns 2 in my experience.

As for the future of the 146 crew's, I can't see an offer of integration into any existing QF structure (case in point the execution of Southerns), but I can see an addition to the expanding pool of excellent highly qualified and experienced drivers for any third airline start up.

Impulse may have the ear of the big bosses in QF at the moment but airlink chief executives are only as good as the last profit/loss result.

Shaker One
26th Oct 2002, 17:31
Was lucky enough to get up close and personal with the Embraer 170 after it did Farnborough.

As for pax appeal, it has bucket loads. The rest of it's not bad either. Should be a very successful aeroplane.

----

Shaker One

The Baron
26th Oct 2002, 21:40
Just heard the Jungle Jet has been canned. This looks very much like more 717s to me.

Going Boeing
27th Oct 2002, 00:13
The Baron

Has the Jungle Jet been officially canned or is it just another rumour?

GB

Douglas Mcdonnell
27th Oct 2002, 01:18
Too Jaded, is that a jealous note I detect?

Sopwith Pup
27th Oct 2002, 01:01
I flew on a 717 the other day........good flight and a nice aircraft.
A question to those that fly it, what range (nil wind) would the 717 have with a full load of pax and say about 3 tons of freight?
Are the 717s that Qantaslink have HGW aircraft?
Thanks.

Cynical MoFo
27th Oct 2002, 05:21
Perhaps, toojaded, but you can't compare apples and oranges. Regional Jets, no matter how cost effective cannot completely replace 717s, just like 717s cannot completely replace 146s.

717s seat 115-117.
146s seat up to 84 or so.
RJs of any variety seat no more than about 60-70 (up to 80?).

An accountant looking at replacing 717s with regional jets on a one for one basis would lose anywhere between 35 and 50 seats per flight and in the language of any financial practitioner, this makes no sense.

A more likely outcome is the ultimate retirement of the 146 fleet, a gradual increase in 717 numbers up to a critical mass of perhaps 20-30 (maybe more, you never know ;) ) and the introduction of a fleet of regional jets for routes which would justify them. Dash-8s remain largely unaffected, perhaps with a small increase in fleet size.

Bear in mind too that a 717 is not too much smaller than a 733.

My personal opinion, for what it is worth.

Allegedly.

Dan Kelly
27th Oct 2002, 07:31
The Embraer 170/175/190/195 family, fondly refered to as The Jungle Jet is designed for 70 to 110 pax. At the high end similar to a 717 but much lighter!

The 146s as configured by NJS carry 64/76/87 at 2+3 seating plus a few business seats. I think European operators of the 146 get up to 115 into a 146-300/RJ100 using 3+3 seating.

I think the 717 is too heavy and large to be considered the RJ replacement.

HOBAY 3
30th Oct 2002, 21:46
If the 2-4 717s are to be in operation by first quarter next year, then that only leaves 150 days at the most from now until they have to be carrying passengers. I know the 73Hs took less than 100 days, but the 717s are new build, and then I think that given there has yet to be an announcement reagarding an order, that they won't be operational until after the first quarter 2003.

:p

Douglas Mcdonnell
31st Oct 2002, 04:16
Interesting concept Hobay. Not too far of the mark I think!

FL CH
31st Oct 2002, 07:58
All the senior Impulse pilots have spoken to say no more 717's in the near future. Qantas have plans to relocate the current 717's onto new routes with the current 717's replaced by 737's ie SY - MC will once again return to 737's.

yowie
1st Nov 2002, 10:41
Havent actually seen one,but doesnt the latest QF prospectus state that the domestic and regional fleets are status quo(give or take 1 or 2 ) until 2005?:cool:

HOBAY 3
1st Nov 2002, 22:36
FL CH,

This rumor of 737s taking over the 717 routes, do you have any idea from when this will happen, and any idea of more routes (other than SY-MC) specifically? With the all economy 767s also doing holiday routes soon, then there seems to be a lot of holiday capacity, with the 767s, these rumored 737s (are they -800s or classics?) as well as the 717s!
:confused:

Zed
12th Nov 2002, 05:39
This rumour has gone quite. So whats the latest? How long does it take to get a 717 fom the order stage to in the country?

whatitsdoingnow
12th Nov 2002, 20:01
Yep heard from link Lame in Bne 10 more 717s to come next yr.
:p

Bronte
12th Nov 2002, 20:19
Where is the 717 heavy maintenance going? Newcastle?

Dan Kelly
12th Nov 2002, 23:23
More 717s is very wishfull thinking. I remind you of the R in PPRuNe! ;)

Zed
12th Nov 2002, 23:50
While we are on the subject of rumors. I heard that the Impulse Ginger Beers are taking over some of the QF737- 300 turn around shortly. And said Ginger Beers expect Impulse Tech and Cabin crews to be next on these aircraft.

HOBAY 3
13th Nov 2002, 05:39
This rumour of Impulse 737s is an interesting one. Up until a couple of weeks ago, Mel-Ool and Syd-Ool schedules showed some flights operated by 737s, but claimed to be operated by Impulse Airlines. This has since been fixed up, but maybe it is an indication that it will happen eventually???
This rumour would fit in with the other rumour about 737s taking over the current 717 routes, and the 717s going on to new routes.
;)

stratoblaster
14th Nov 2002, 00:03
yeah!
Who knows, maybe 744's down the track!
Its all possible, but me thinks rather inprobable. Nothing wrong with wishful thinking though!

:rolleyes:

HOBAY 3
14th Nov 2002, 04:05
Stratoblaster, are you referring to the new 717s, or the Impulse 737s, or both???:confused:

LAYME
14th Nov 2002, 08:19
Impulse LAME's doing QF turnarounds, I don't think so.:rolleyes:

Sonny Hammond
15th Nov 2002, 21:59
737's taking over the 717's routes...um I don't really think they are the 717's to lose.

Also, I haven't heard the qf LAME's walk off the job yet. And that is exactly what will happen if the impulse boys start tinkering with their toys!

Get real guys.

I'm with stupid
19th Nov 2002, 14:15
:D :D :D , it's funny to watch from the other side, the rumours that kept the hopes of NJS pilots up for years, hang on Impulse pilots, you're on the QF roller coaster now.

Maybe the new bus is really for you guys:rolleyes:

Cynical MoFo
19th Nov 2002, 22:09
Glad you're getting a kick out of this, IWS.

I'm presently working two jobs just to keep my head above water as one of the lucky 13 ex-1900 drivers.

I think I've forgetten how to laugh. Or at least mean it when I do.

I know that the NJS guys have been through this for years and are still going through it (now more than ever, perhaps), but at no point would I find humour in their ordeal.

Careful what you say. Or if you have to say it, careful how you do.

Allegedly.

Douglas Mcdonnell
19th Nov 2002, 23:54
The new jet rumours do seem to have some weight. Have heard that 3 will go back and 6 will replace them. Aparrently there are not many 717s left in the desert so a deal has been done with tran air. Thus, 3 new jets to arrive in about March. False hope is a B@st@rd, but this could be great news for the redundant guys.

That would create positions for all pulse blokes and more command positions for current F/Os. Dont worry guys you have not been forgotten.

What ever happens, the future looks bright.

P.S Was in Sydney the other day at T2 and pulled up beside an EAA Dash. We got fowl looks from 4 pilots on their crew change. Whats with that?

flipside
20th Nov 2002, 00:19
MD,
Heard that rumour in May last year, to occur in Sept but with different os operator involved. Are the ginger beers unable to come up with anything original.

Douglas Mcdonnell
20th Nov 2002, 00:22
Flipside it seems to be the constant one at the moment. It would make sense i guess.

I'm with stupid
20th Nov 2002, 00:25
Sorry Cynical, no offense intended.

But having been through the exact same 737 thing for near on 10 years, I would like to offer a word of advice to the Impulse drivers...It just won't happen, the existing 73 drivers WILL make sure of that.( rightly or wrongly )

Yes false hope is a b@stard, and it's also a waste of time and energy.

Best of luck cynical, have been in your position and I do sympathise, whatever you do, don't give up.

Pimp Daddy
20th Nov 2002, 00:29
We got fowl looks from 4 pilots on their crew change. Whats with that?

Dunno - with the old livery I would hazard something to do with chicken on the tail :D

Douglas Mcdonnell
20th Nov 2002, 10:41
Whilst we are on the bird theme, What do they say about your own nest?

PD ive got to pay that one.

Hugh Jarse
20th Nov 2002, 20:26
P.S Was in Sydney the other day at T2 and pulled up beside an EAA Dash. We got fowl looks from 4 pilots on their crew change. Whats with that?

You sound a little paranoid mate! We have little enough time on turnarounds to get between A/C, let alone stand around and pull faces at you.

Why Bother? :rolleyes:

HOBAY 3
21st Nov 2002, 02:38
So far on this topic, the number of rumoured new 717s has started at 2-4, then 3,6,0,4 and finally 10! Seems to me like no ones to sure of anything, and my guess would be 0 given that 4 763s and 17 733s will be converted to all Y class.

;)

I'm with stupid
21st Nov 2002, 08:03
I believe you Douglas, had it done to me when I was at Airlink by Sunstate pilots, also was a incidence of the finger being given to one of my workmates, yeh, true professionals, don't you wish you were a passenger on one of those individuals A/C.
( not tarring everyone with the same brush Jarse, but it has happened )

Hugh Jarse
21st Nov 2002, 08:29
IWS,
I find it hard to believe. But if it's true, it's a sign of small mindedness, and certainly not a reflection of the majority.

Dehavillanddriver
21st Nov 2002, 09:06
Jarse,

I parked a 146 in the Eastern area a few years ago and got the same treatment.

It does happen - unfortunately.

It isn't limited to Eastern/Sunnies though.

An Ansett pilot abused one of DJ's crews and amonst other things accused them of "not wearing a tie" - can you believe it!!

Douglas Mcdonnell
22nd Nov 2002, 02:18
Do unto others I think it said. You must have a large minority there Jarse!!

Zed
22nd Nov 2002, 04:52
HOBAY 3

You are forgetting about the fact that QF do have to replace the 146 with something eventually. Wether that be upgraded 146' jungle jets or 717's. My money is on the 717. Definitely will not be a mainline, all economy 737.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I thing 5 146 leases/ contracts expire in 2003.

HOBAY 3
22nd Nov 2002, 09:37
In some abstract sense I think that the A330 will replace the 146. The reasoning for this apparantly foolish statement follows. As more A330s come (and the teething problems get sorted out - the A330s are hardly putting in the big strides at the moment!), some current 767 sectors will be replaced by A330 e.g. mel-syd, mel-per etc. This frees up some 767s, four of which will be converted to all Y class - let's call them 76Ys. These get used on leisure routes, replacing some existing 717 services on the higher capacity routes, Syd-Ool,Syd-Cns,Mel-Ool,Mel-Hba,Syd-Hti etc. This frees up some 717s, which can be used to replace the 146s. Economy 737s can replace some further 717 services to allow more 717s to go onto the 146 routes. Of the East Coast 146 routes, only Bne-Ppp,Isa and Cbr remain. Ppp and Isa can goto 717, with Cbr operated by 734s due to J requirement. Of the west coast, Kta,Kgi and Bme are mostly 737 anyway, leaving just Phe,Pbo,Zne,Asp,Ayq and Gov. 717s will gradually replace the 146s on these routes.

Comments?

;)

Dan Kelly
22nd Nov 2002, 23:50
Wrong. From an inside source it's two.

Hobay,

Your theory doesn't accommodate the identified need for a 70-90 seat regional jet. The B717 is too heavy (landing chgs etc) to be considered or configured as a 70-90 seater.

The 146 may be on the way out, but it could be replaced by a close cousin! ;)

b55
24th Nov 2002, 01:30
Just came across the personal comments section of this topic about the Eastern/Sunnies pilots having unprofessional attitudes, toward Air Link/ Impulse drivers, which need to be answered.
Back in the "war" of 1989, no one was interested in the existing Australian Airlines regional turboprop arlines. They just went along quietly doing their network flying and as many "specials" that Australian could squeeze out of them too, between the major cities. A big task but they did that job professionally and safely. One of the options for the regional jet routes was that Australian would give them over to those turboprop regionals. But Jimmy "Bowtie" had this other idea of giving it all over to some unknown Adelaide charter operator, NJS. The loyality and effort of his own regionals went unrecognised. Over the next twelve years, those same regional airlines just went on and did the job asked of them, professionally and safely and profitably.
Then along came the next airline "war" of 2000-2001. This time Qantas decides that buying a debt ridden and unprofitable airline is again a better idea than recognising its own regionals quiet abilities of professionalism and their safety record.
Don't take the "dirty looks and the finger" personally. You are the only available visible faces of those higher layers of management people making corporate decisions based on things other than airmanship, professionalism, loyalty and dedication and love to the job. EAA, Southern, and Sunnies pilots are only human too.

flyswat
24th Nov 2002, 02:03
EAA and Sunnies human??.... oh cr@p now I have heard everything.
Jarse get your head outta your jarse, Your work mates are screwing your chance at VQ volantary intergration. All I can say is ....well it just wouldn't be proper.
Your majority "minority" has been sitting on their own planet for too long.:rolleyes:

b55
24th Nov 2002, 04:35
flyswat
Now who's showing a bad attitude??!!

flyswat
24th Nov 2002, 09:51
Well.......HE started it!
huff....cross my arms:D

spinout
25th Nov 2002, 05:50
B55 i agree with you....

if q had not picked up impulse it would have gone broke if it was not already, the really sad thing is that a lot of people have for a lot of years worked with the regionals waiting for a chance at something bigger only to have their dream squshed by a gerry come lately.

it would now appear that njs is next as for a q goes we are all expendable including the pulse....:mad:

flipside
25th Nov 2002, 05:59
You Q (old) regionals guys really need to learn to direct your anger at the right people, all you are doing at the moment with you attitude(previous attitude hopefully) is shooting yourself in the foot (reference integration)

Servo
25th Nov 2002, 11:16
:mad: QF regionals rude/arrogant............ what! Anytime I have approached or said g'day to the Impulse crew they have turned their nose up and walked off.

People forget where they have come from.

mppgf
25th Nov 2002, 12:02
Servo, What scurrilous rag do you write for?
"Anytime I have approached" So you are saying it's happened more than once. Cr@p!!!!
Any Q regional pilot, F/A etc would probably be invited onboard if they were interested.
Try stirring the pot with something a bit more original.
Oh and by the way we all came from the same place except, maybe you were hatched. :p :rolleyes:

Cynical MoFo
25th Nov 2002, 20:28
Wasn't because you called them "Scabs" was it, Servo?

I do agree with you, however. People do forget where they come from. Eastern and Sunstate were both independent regional airlines at first, weren't they? Then Qantas bought them.

See any parallels? Funny that.

Allegedly.

Douglas Mcdonnell
25th Nov 2002, 22:01
I have good Mates at both EAA and Sunnies. Unfortunately these guys are being hampered by the likes of Servo. The nasty stuff that happened when the pulse was taken over by Q was a real shame. Unfortunately for the majority of good blokes and girls that work in these companies, the "minority" of outspoken mates has rooted their future. The one point that has not been raised is that QF does not want, and has not asked Impulse to join with EAA or Sunnies. So ask yourself this Servo, can you really see a bunch of guys WHO HAVE TO VOTE TO LET YOU JOIN THE BOTTOM OF THE SENIORITY LIST AT THE PULSE looking after you when you display such a W@NKER ATTITUDE?

I dont think so matey. Have a good look around people. The bloke with the bad attitude who is sitting next to you is holding your progression back. It is a shame to see good people represented by a vocal minority with its head in the sand.

Hugh Jarse
26th Nov 2002, 00:19
Judging by the past several posts, it looks like if you work for anyone but Impulse you can't have an opinion.

We've had some real intellectual giants contributing over the past 2 pages in the general theme of: "If you don't stop pulling faces/showing the bird/ignoring me, I'm not gonna let you play with my toys."

Grow up kiddies......

Now, back on topic. Any news of more jets for Qantaslink?

Douglas Mcdonnell
26th Nov 2002, 00:26
Jeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzz you have changed your tune from about 16 months ago Jarse.

Why would that be?

Hugh Jarse
26th Nov 2002, 00:42
Well Douglas, if you had a visible email or messaging service (as I do), I would be happy to let you know, rather than waste server space here.

Over to you.

zuluman
26th Nov 2002, 02:25
Can a QF 737-800 land at the MC Airport, with the 737 taking over the Current 717 routes??????
MC had to increase the Rwy Length and Width to Cope for the 737-400 and 300:confused:

HOBAY 3
26th Nov 2002, 02:30
Shouldn't be an issue zulu given that MC has been branded into the economy class only basket. It will be 733s that operate there in future, as the 734s and 73Hs are keeping their J class.

;)

flyswat
26th Nov 2002, 07:36
Jarse OK you trying to act all professional now (is that how you spell it I'm not sure?:D )
NO
NO
NO
Qantaslink arn't getting anymore jets
Impulse are
BWAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAA HA HA HA HA HA HA:D :D :D
ooooh Ive got a stitch. That hurts!!!

hoss
26th Nov 2002, 08:07
Impulse or Airconnex?
Is there any relationship between Airconnex and Connex (buses)?
Who is the owner/s (not lessors) of the B717?
What is the status of the current Airconnex Pilot group, Fulltime Contract or Permanent or both?

I'm not trying to stir the coals, just genuine questions :)

hoss

spinout
26th Nov 2002, 21:04
what if there are no more jets for the pulse?
what if all the pilots at the pulse are like Dougie?
what if Q get Dash 8/400?
what if Q sells the pulse to National Jet?
:D

HOBAY 3
27th Nov 2002, 03:06
What is your point spinout???

Douglas Mcdonnell
27th Nov 2002, 03:13
Ill take that in the positive spinout. As for pulse being sold, well thats a good one.

topgun0007
28th Nov 2002, 06:05
Lets see, FRA an English company with a strong focus on special missions is going to expand on an RPT holding that it does no want.

I think not, FRA I understand would love to divest themselves of the Airlink contract side of NJS not purchase another.

For the seniority list issue I only have one question why would the big Q endorse any merge of lists between their (arguably) most militant group af pilots and their (arguably) least militant.

But I digress, the Pulse will get more B717's and the Airlink 146 ops wil contract it will just be a matter of time.

Dan Kelly
28th Nov 2002, 10:04
I'd be interested to have some idea why you believe FRA keen to divest themselves of Airlink.

My information, from possibly the highest source, is that FRA as an aviation company is interested in ...... aviation. The Airlink contract meets this criteria.

I've yet to hear of or see anything factual to indicate that FRA are only interested in miltary or para military style flying.

I'm with stupid
29th Nov 2002, 06:13
Hey Top gun, before you get too smug, have a chat with a couple of Southern Pilots.
The " pulse " will get or lose what they are given, depending on what suits good old employee friendly Geoff at the time.

Remember, todays Rooster, tommorows feather duster.

topgun0007
29th Nov 2002, 08:08
IWS

Not being smug, far from it in fact several friends of mine are with both Southern and NJS and I really feel for anyone in that situation.

It does not directly affcet me in any way what happens with any of the operators, but for runs on the board, fiscally the B717 makes to much sense to ignore.

If you care to listen to the bean counters who have now had time to get a real picture of what the aircraft costs to operate then the seven seventeen has a long future in this country.

No aircraft is ideal for all the routes it will eventually operate but like most things the best compromise is usually the way to go.

How many operators large and small have fallen victim to running too many types just to meet perceived market needs.

I dont know how my previous post could have been construed as smug, but if it did I apologise.

This is only my third post I think in 3 odd years of reading prune so its not very often I get on my high horse and I certainly dont enter into any debate without sound information behind me.

As I am led to believe, possibly the only thing that will stall the progress of the B717 is lack of available units.

Douglas Mcdonnell
5th Dec 2002, 22:52
Has anyone in the know heard anything about the intergration of Impulse Sunstate and Eastern?

Cheers Doug.

Hugh Jarse
6th Dec 2002, 00:11
I've been on sick leave for a couple 'o weeks so haven't heard anything Douglas.

There has been a vote on SAA-EAA but have heard zero as to the result. I imagine that will have to be sorted out as a priority. The EAA rep is up to his elbows in alligators with his regular job (workload wise), so progress on the whole issue will probably be slow for a while.

Hopefully I'll be back in the saddle next week and might know a little more then......;)

spinout
6th Dec 2002, 00:19
EAA-SAA intergration vote was yes.. it is happening:)

WALLEY
6th Dec 2002, 16:41
Just back to the topic of a/c selection. Was at a corporate powow after the QF board meeting and Geof was asked about rumours of 717 replacing the146.

He stated QF inherited the 717 it was not QFs choice of a/c however he confirmed the 146 needed replacing.

In the West 717 may struggle on hot days to the smaller mining towns, strips being only 1500m or so. As stated previously the major regional a/p inWA are 733 &734 serviced already. At these ports possible VB action has to be considered and QF would not want to be caught flying 146 against VB 738 or 7s.

QF direct flights MEL BME on 738 is the first example of this.

The telling factor is what a/c could Link fly without upsetting any pilot eng or cabin agreements. Anyone know??:rolleyes:

spinout
6th Dec 2002, 20:26
DASH 8 400....:rolleyes:

Dan Kelly
7th Dec 2002, 01:06
[list=1]
The Jungle Jet - Embraer 170/190 family
The Avro RJ - a renamed 146 but the second generation.
[/list=1]

HOBAY 3
8th Dec 2002, 10:00
QF seem to have begun displaying a new schedule for the B717s effective early March 2003. They are basing a 717 in MKY overnight, replacing the existing146. Is this when the NJS MKY base is closing?

HOBAY 3
9th Dec 2002, 09:00
Read a letter in the Mercury newspaper today from Dr John Ward, claiming that he had told by QF that J class was coming to LST within 2 months. Is it the 142s or a windup?

djembe56
9th Dec 2002, 21:16
The return of the 146s to LTN has been a recurring rumour over the past twelve months. One can only hope....

ditzyboy
9th Dec 2002, 21:57
Doctor John Ward...

Why can't he just do some doctoring and stop whining about the type of plane / class he sits in for a 50 minute sector? Also is he going to drive from HBA to LST just to use J class?

To quote one of this guy's statements re. the 717s. "The cramped seating leaves one arriving feeling dishevled and tired..." What? After an hour? What's he up to then? Mile High Club? Never mind the fact that the seats on the 717 are wider and there is more seat pitch.... The dude also stated the 717s are smaller than the 146s. How so?

QF did make all these promises to him when AN scrapped J class to Tassie but if this man can't see the business sense for dropping J class then he shouldn't be allowed out in public alone. I spoke with a QF sales manager on one of my flights who said the company was dissapointed with J class bookings when they were toying with the idea to bring it back. It obviously just doesn't work for them. If J class did work for them do you not think they would bring it back?

My apologies.... That got completely off topic ;)

HOBAY 3
9th Dec 2002, 22:22
I recall another of his letters some time ago, where he said something like "some of us just don't fit into a standard seat"!!!

:D

Douglas Mcdonnell
10th Dec 2002, 05:06
Dr John sound like he needs 2 seats to allow for his 2 heads.

DM

The Spin Doctor
16th Dec 2002, 01:14
the Boeing website has 717 variants in study and proposal stages, seating range if goes ahead 75-130 may answer the question about the need for an Embraer???

Douglas Mcdonnell
16th Dec 2002, 10:03
I think if a smaller regional jet was viable it would already be here. More seats does not always mean more public want to travell. Especially out of already marginal ports within the network. I cant see a need for a jet such as the embraer and RJ.