PDA

View Full Version : Tourism in a post Bali Australia

poteroo
14th Oct 2002, 22:23
Firstly, my sympathies to everyone involved.

But, after the initial pain, fear and anger, people will holiday and travel again - but it will be mostly domestic. SE Asia is going to take a beating.

What does this mean for GA?

My guess is that domestic tourism will really boom, and GA will be part of that. It will flow to every niche of the industry, from caravan manufacturers, to parks, roadhouses, entertainment venues, and probably into 'extreme' sports such as parachuting.

People will spend more on housing and home improvements too. More vehicles will be purchased.

Expect to see more of the disposable income go into more 'worthy' pastimes such as flying training, as we enter a cycle of appreciating what a great and safe country we live in. Money spent in Oz is recycled, and directly powers the economy.

I beleive, that out of this bloody minded bastardry, we'll see a swing back to appreciating Australia by doing domestic tourism, and that's going to be good for everyone.

Something positive will come from this tragedy....

Cypher
15th Oct 2002, 00:54
Tad early to consider this yet ain't it RV6-VNE,

lets fly the dead and injured home first...

:(

foxinsox
16th Oct 2002, 11:47
My thoughts also go to the families who will carry this with them for untold years. Cypher, I agree there are current priorities to attend now.

Moving on from this will most likely spawn a new period of, as RV6 put it, a domestic tourist boom. I for one would be one hoping this to be the case.

As a new entrant to the field, soon to be moving into GA, I am indeed hoping for some new avenues to be opened over the next couple of years. I'm surprised how many people I speak to can tell me how aviation in general has slumped over the last 10 years. I am certainly anxious to see that I'm not joining a waning industry.

If any people have seen otherwise of the abovementioned situation, I would be keen to hear the where/how of other areas in GA.

Ultralights
7th Nov 2002, 05:16
3 people i know have already cancelled holidays to Asia (Thailand) and are no planning to Holiday locally!