PDA

View Full Version : SleazyJet Rubbish(ing)

peeteechase
14th Oct 2002, 18:10
Hey guys,
Check out this URL

http://www.easyjet.co.uk/en/news/BAcon.asp

With all due respect to the decent guys and gals at EasyJet Desparate or what?

ATB, PTC

PS: Having left your comments they try to sell you a ticket, what losers!
PPS: Only joking about marketing!

jumpseater
14th Oct 2002, 19:08
There is nothing new in this, easy,ryan have been using similar techniques since day 1. Easy upset all the greek travel agents because they said why not cut out the middle man buy direct, this marketing style makes the consumer think at the very least!. I have seen recently many ads on the new BA deals, I do wonder how they make the link between lo-cost and massive TV advertising. Their recent ad aimed at attacking lo-cost operators, trades mainly on 'urban legends' so I see no difference, I'm not in marketing but thats where my vote goes.

Smudger
14th Oct 2002, 19:38
At least BA won't close the customer services desk on you after you queued for two hours after your flight was cancelled. I am not particularly a BA fan but I guess you'd get a better overall service from them. You pays your money.......

fmgc
14th Oct 2002, 22:40
I am no fan of BA or eJ, but I hate this sort of negative advertising.

It would imply that eJ are running scared, which I don't think that they need to do.

Why don't they take the moral high ground and trust the fact that people will vote with price/service and buy whstever they think suits themselves the best?

one four sick
15th Oct 2002, 08:08
Fact:

As an excersise I have picked the 16 Oct to travel to CDG from LUT and from BHX, returning on the 18th.

easyJet

Prices:
OUTBOUND
airfare per adult 70.40 GBP
plus TAX per adult/child 5.00 GBP
plus Barclays fat cat charge per adult/child 5.50 GBP
plus insurance and security charge per adult/child 1.60 GBP
total per adult/child 82.50 GBP

RETURN
airfare per adult/child 45.90 GBP
plus TAX per adult/child 4.74 GBP
plus insurance and security charge per adult/child 1.60 GBP
total per adult/child 52.24 GBP

GRAND TOTAL
total for 1 adult 134.74 GBP

British Airways

Outbound : Birmingham to Charles de Gaulle (Paris)
Flight Number : BA1802
Cabin : Traveller
Departure : Wed 16 October 2002, 08:40
Arrival : Wed 16 October 2002, 10:50

Inbound : Charles de Gaulle (Paris) to Birmingham
Flight Number : BA1803
Departure : Fri 18 October 2002, 11:45
Arrival : Fri 18 October 2002, 12:00

Fare Quote Details

Passengers Price per Ticket plus tax, fees, charges and surcharges* Full Ticket Price

1 Adult £ 260.00 £ 35.50 £ 295.50

Total Price : £ 295.50

So there you have it!

Land After
15th Oct 2002, 09:32
Fact:

I'm flying MAN-GVA next March on a Saturday on BA for 50GBP less than EJ LPL-GVA were quoting for similar times. The fares are there - you just need to shop around! People are flocking to EJ on the assumpton that they're the cheapest and ignoring the majors. Suits me, closer airport, free G&T's in the lounge & in the air.

Mind you - I could have gone for 20GBP less if I was prepared to treck to EMA for BMI Baby.

brabazon
15th Oct 2002, 10:04
Land After

There you have it. For a particular journey it pays to look around and not just assume the easyJet are the cheapest. Since they have their own way of managing their yield it will sometimes be cheaper to go with someone else, but not always. So the motto is look around and be prepared to drive a bit further for a bargain.

Tiger
15th Oct 2002, 13:42
EasyJet marketing dept. once again! Sad but true! Poor taste, silly and childish. Unfortuately, postings like this in the past have coursed many a slanging match between crews, this time lets hope we all see this as the Marketing Depts games.

It also starts the usual run of fare comparisions...yawn!

However, the posting between LTN and BHX to CDG really has me baffled. You can not compare like for like between a North London airport and one in The Midlands. Try LHR/LGW to CDG.

There are a good few Low Cost Airlines in the UK now, all offer various destinations and prices. At the same time look at the more traditional carriers, not neccessarily though their web sites, but likes of Opodo, Expedia etc...

EasyJet and BA offer different products, not always seen by joe public till it goes wrong, yes they both get you from A-B, but EasyJet don`t from C-D ie they are a point to point carrier.

boredcounter
15th Oct 2002, 14:02
While the quoted figs do appear to speak for themselves, out of curiosity can I ask the following.

What were the schedule times for the Easy flight?

How would the tickets compare on flexibility?

Cheers
Bored

one four sick
15th Oct 2002, 16:08
boredcounter,

Yes, the times were chosen to coincide with that of BA's as far as poss and you'll see if you go on the two sites, that the flights chosen were a couple of hours apart or so.
I have deliberately taken the highest fare from the easyJet site for that day which is £82.50 one way, with all extras. There are however fares for about £25.00 as well for that day. I haven't calculated the cheapest fare by far I'm afraid.

Unfortunately it seems that BA are quite a bit more expensive and this will unfortunately may lead to their demise, since they are just not paying enough attention to the clues out there!

airrage
15th Oct 2002, 17:56
And how much do EasyJet quote for the connecting flight to Hong Kong, Sydney, Rio, etc ?

BA are far from knocked-out, and EasyJet's growth story is soon to have growing Pains, but both will live on in their respective markets.

from BA.com

Outbound : Gatwick (London) to Charles de Gaulle (Paris)
Flight Number : BA2844
Departure : Wed 16 October 2002, 20:10
Arrival : Wed 16 October 2002, 22:20

Inbound : Charles de Gaulle (Paris) to Gatwick (London)
Flight Number : BA2841
Departure : Fri 18 October 2002, 21:45
Arrival : Fri 18 October 2002, 21:55

Fare Quote Details

Passengers Price per Ticket plus tax, fees, charges and surcharges* Full Ticket Price

1 Adult £ 81.00 £ 25.90 £ 106.90

Total Price : £ 106.90

* The price of your ticket includes a security and insurance surcharge per flight levied by the carrier - for details of this please click here.

AND YOUR POINT IS ??? This thread is about dirty tactics isn't it ?

charterguy
15th Oct 2002, 19:05
EZY are definitely running scared. Given the fact, that the orange lot have nothing going for them except price, I too would be worried about BA's move into the low cost market.

However, I feel BA shouldn't waste too much money on advertising low fares in isolation. They should hire Tom Hanks as Forrest Gump: "Easyjet flights are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get !" :D :D :D

cheer up
15th Oct 2002, 23:53
Well 'Forest Gump' sums it all up if you buy a box of chocolates thinking it's easyjet - Charterguy get yourself a new role model !:D

mjenkinsblackdog
16th Oct 2002, 07:17
Easyjet is making a huge profit without getting involved with Ba.
Totally unnecessary!
Let the public decide without lowering standards.:cool:

GustyOrange
16th Oct 2002, 09:45
When comparing GLA-LHR BA vs GLA-LTN EZY the £20 or so extra with BA for a return ticket is more than recouped with on board drinks and food alone.

The inconvenience and cost of getting to central London from LTN makes the BA LHR option a no brainer.

Gusty

SLF3
16th Oct 2002, 12:13
Familly holiday to Nice at half term (Saturday to Saturday, next weekend). BMI from LHR via Expedia an average of £60 per ticket cheaper RETURN than Easy were offering ONE WAY. Booked months ago, couldn't go Easy even if we wanted to because they hadn't posted their winter season timetable.

For a familly of four, I'll pay £30 per ticket extra to go with a main stream carrier out of Heathrow rather than with Easy from Luton. More if the kids aren't going. Easy don't discount for children, which erodes the gap further.

The thing that gets me every time is not being able to get sensible fares direct from the airlines: Expedia routinely beat BA, and SAS by considerable margins for the same flights. I've also found BA, Alitalia and SAS will offer lower prices on the phone than over the web. Anyone who buys direct over the internet (or quotes price comparisons!) from a mainstream carrier over the internet is a mug.

King Kee
16th Oct 2002, 17:21
Perfectly fair advertising as far as I can see........BA have announced they are "launching low fares" to compete with the likes of eJ. It's only natural that eJ and others should respond by challenging that marketing.

You will always be able to hunt around and find examples where BA (and others) are cheaper than the 'low-cost' carriers. We all know that eJ etc. yield-control differently and to get the really good deals you need to be flexible and/or book in advance. However, it is also true that the number of 'cheap' tickets on BA flights is also limited, and I doubt you'd get a good number of 'cheap' fares on their peak services!

The public should by now be savvy enough to shop around a bit. If eJ have persuaded the public by slick marketing that they are ALWAYS the cheapest, and therefore people don't bother comparing the BA prices, well hat's off to the marketing guys and gals for doing a good job!

PAXboy
18th Oct 2002, 11:08
SLF3I've also found BA, Alitalia and SAS will offer lower prices on the phone than over the web. Just a guess ... if they post prices on the web, their competitors can find the prices by using a programme called a 'web-crawler' or a 'screen-scraper'.

Whereas, if the prices are on the phone, their competitors will have to pay a human being to generate spurious booking calls, to get the information, before ringing off.

If you publish figures - all can see but if you only talk them - the audience is limited.

But thanks for the tip-off!! ;)

AJ
20th Oct 2002, 23:15
So far the results seem quite predictable......most people seem to think this kind of advertising is ok, slightly less can't be bothered with this issue, and even less think the line has now been crossed.

Interesting!

charterguy
21st Oct 2002, 08:14
AJ

Not sure which poll you are looking at, but the poll at the top would suggest the exact opposite to your lats post. :confused:

At the moment it is showing 45% as being against this type of advertising.

AJ
21st Oct 2002, 09:13
You're right of course. Misread title to read ...'not acceptable'.

:o

PPRuNe Pop
31st Oct 2002, 08:16
I think this one has run its course. There have been no new posts for a few days and it is time to close it.