View Full Version : Question Re: British Midland ab-initio testing?

window-seat
12th Aug 2001, 19:56
Do all 'Thanks, but no-thanks' letters sent out to ab-initio BMi Bursary Scheme Aptitude Test sitters include the following line?

'However, the Test Scores thay you achieved suggest that you have the aptitude required to be a commercial airline pilot.'

Or, is there another version with words to the effect of 'your test scores suggest that your aptitude is not suited blah, blah? :confused:

Si
12th Aug 2001, 20:35
The letter that you quote was exactly the one i got, about having the apptitude to be a pilot.

Min Sink
12th Aug 2001, 21:26
Mine was the same. I wonder if they want you to spend your hard earned cash with them on a nice shiny ATPL course!

window-seat
12th Aug 2001, 22:33
Wonder what the 'you do not have the aptitude' letter actually says?

Eggboy
13th Aug 2001, 02:19
Got the same myself two years ago. I hope if you didn't do well enough then they would have the decency to tell you. I reckon it's better to think about results relative to the nature of their training.
There are limited spaces available so it isn't just a case of meeting a standard to earn selection, and that others getting similar results may just have had more to offer in the way of experience etc. Speaking to a friend who made it last year, be it an ab-initio course, he reckoned nearly all those selected had either a ppl, in some cases to as much as 100hours, and or UAS experience. Interesting!... :rolleyes:

Midland Maniac
13th Aug 2001, 13:17
I wouldn't be too disheartened!!! I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago.. I passed the aptitude tests, and got to the interview stages where they then proceeded to ask me questions on the ATPL sylabus!!! I would not have minded if i had already completed an ATPL...so i promtly felt a bit of a ****!!!

They did say to me though that I was good enough to be a pilot, but when you get down to the last 50 or so it could be they wasy that you do you hair or something that determines whether you get a sponsorship or not!!

So you are better off where you are HONEST!!! :mad:

window-seat
13th Aug 2001, 16:25
Can anyone else confirm that not all Oxfords (BMi) rejection letters state that 'you have the required aptitude'? Or do they all have this line in the hope that you will beg, borrow and steal the cash to pay your own way? :confused:

dakersg
13th Aug 2001, 21:01
I got exactly the same "Thanks but no thanks" letter, with "you have the required aptitude but unfortunately.. blah, blah".

However, they did change their mind a few weeks later and call me for an interview anyway.

Thought it was quite decent of them to swallow their pride and admit they (or their testing agency apparently) had made a mistake and invite me anyway. Not that it helped made much difference in the end.

window-seat
15th Aug 2001, 01:08
I would lke more info & comments please! :confused:

Bubble
15th Aug 2001, 14:16
Same letter, last year

:p