PDA

View Full Version : Crossing the Pacific in a Single

alan_mcmahon
14th Oct 2002, 13:21
We are looking to purchase a light single aircraft for a round the world trip. Has anyone crossed the Pacific in a single ? and if so we would be much appreciated to know in what aircraft it was done, spec and performance figures etc.

As the longest leg crossing the Pacific is 2012nm we will need to install ferry tanks to allow this leg to be completed. Any information on recomendationd of aircraft would be of great help.

expedite_climb
14th Oct 2002, 13:38
You want to do 2012 miles in a single ? I doubt you could get tanks big enough to fly for almost 20 hrs !!

Deaf
14th Oct 2002, 13:57
Used to be quite common for C172 up for delivery to Australia.

IIRC takeoff was about 40% over gross and it was a requirement for groups of a/c to fly in lose formation. That way if someone went down and got out there was a position, if they didn't get out there was no need for SAR.

Defiantly
14th Oct 2002, 16:39
How about a Rutan Longeasy same as the one a Swiss Air pilot did both Eastward & West!

PAXboy
14th Oct 2002, 19:49
From an onlookers point of view ... try and locate the folks who deliver single engined aircraft.

I recall reading an article in Airways (I think) about a year ago of a regular delivery flight that goes across Greenland but I cannot recall if it was a twin or a single.

If the manufacturers, crate them and ship them - then you have probably found your answer!!

Good luck.

treadigraph
15th Oct 2002, 11:54
Flying Magazine's Peter Garrison wrote a book called (I think) Long Distance Flying" about his far flung escapades in his homebuilt Melmoth. Think he went round the world (I saw the aircraft at Biggin in '75) and trans-Pacific.

If you can get a copy, might give you some good tips...

Good luck with your trip!

Treadders

nonradio
15th Oct 2002, 15:57
Try www.earthrounders.com (http://www.earthrounders.com)
Good luck

Romeo Tango
15th Oct 2002, 17:53
You want to get Louis Sacchi's book "Ocean Flying" ISBN 007054405, out of print but probably gettable on Amazon. Pre GPS but much useful stuff.

One of the bigger singles is probably best but many of the standard ones will do.

I regularly go long distances in singles (Cape Town, LA, Sidney but havn't done the Pacific yet). Contact me direct if you want more information.

Low Ratio
15th Oct 2002, 19:31
Another useful book may be 'Freedom of the Skies' by Margi and Gerard Moss, they flew a Saratoga around the world which included a long Pacific crossing. Which I think was the first in a single for that particular route.

RatherBeFlying
15th Oct 2002, 21:52
A very handy site for life rafts and ocean survival (http://www.equipped.com/avraft.htm) along with reports of ditching incidents.