View Full Version : The end of a dream in Europe....but how about the USA?

uk
28th Apr 2001, 15:47
I have just received very bad news from BA. Having reached final board a couple of years ago and passing the aptitudes again over Easter, I have not passed the pre-medical screen. This has come as a MAJOR shock. The problem is my eyesight - I have astigmatism in both eyes which at -2.25 is greater than the +/- 2 dioptre limit. Two years ago, my eyes were fine, but now they are not. I have also reached the final stage with bmi. However, as I have not got a JAA Class 1 medical and as things stand can't get one, my lifelong dream of flying airliners may be over.
So what now? Apparently in the USA the medical standards are different and I would pass a Class A over there. Luckily I also have the right to work in the US. I'm hoping some fellow PPruners will be able to help me. How do you go about becoming a commercial pilot in the US? I've heard things about sponsorships and other programs but need as much advice or information as possible. Are there any others out there who are or have been in a similar situation?
Any advice/information would be very greatfully received. Thanks in advance.

UK

Iain
28th Apr 2001, 16:48
Sorry to hear about that. Go to a site called Jetcareers http://www.Jetcareers.com it will give you an idea of how to become a pilot in the US.
Iain

Lucifer
28th Apr 2001, 17:46
Delta and Conti express do full sponsorships, the latter looking for 800 this year alone (total recruitment).

Intersection
28th Apr 2001, 21:17
Really sorry about that, all i can give you really is my upmost sympathy. But don't let it get u down theres plenty more exiting aviation jobs out there!

Duncan2
28th Apr 2001, 21:48
The limits for JAA Class one are +/- 3 aren't they? I know BA standards are higher but you may still get a class one. I'm sure you've looked into it already so this is just in case you haven't.

ronchonner
29th Apr 2001, 00:33
man, u are sucked!!!
come to the US instead to cry for momy...
it s plenty of jobs, hav revceived a job proposition today, I have 1-2 proposition every 3 weeks.
if you have a work permit or can get one, u will be on embraer in less 18 months...
check chicago express, min are 700TT.
f..k the JAR, u will come back in europe when u will have 1500 of eavy jet.
anyquestion, ask by e-mail.i will help you!

atp pilot
USA

little red train
29th Apr 2001, 01:23
(1) At the initial examination the refractive error shall not exceed ±3 dioptres.

(2) At revalidation or renewal examinations, an applicant experienced to the satisfaction of the Authority with refractive errors up to +3/-5 dioptres and with a history of stable vision may be considered fit by the AMS (see paragraph 2 Appendix 13 to Subpart B).

(3) In an applicant with a refractive error with an astigmatic component, the astigmatism shall not exceed 2.0 dioptres.

(4) The difference in refractive error between the two eyes (anisometropia) shall not exceed 2.0 dioptres.

(h) (1) If a visual requirement is met only with the use of correction, the spectacles or contact lenses must provide optimal visual function and be suitable for aviation purposes.

Are these the values AFTER correction, if not? sorry, It does look like the astigmatic error stops any commercial flight in the JAA, not sure about FAA Reqs.

PPrune, isn't the most 'American' of sites there are others which would probably be more help.

Another tip, Avoid Roncho, consistantly full of sh*t.

"hav revceived a job proposition today"
Yeah, £20 and had to swollow it.

Dirk
29th Apr 2001, 10:52
uk

I was in a similar position to yourself 2 years ago. Got to the final board at BA, then told my eyes were not good enough (short-sighted, -3/-5). 6 Months later I had surgery to correct this... 1 month later the JAA banned surgery !

I decided to go to South Africa and do my training there. Best decision I ever made... I finished in November last year and was lucky to find a job straight away. I am now flying on a BE20 for the United Nations in Africa. Dream job !

I chose SA because their training is of a very high standard and most of it is based on the British system. Of course the JAA doesn't recognize any foreign license at the moment but I will worry about that later when I have a few thousand hours !

The irony is that the ban on surgery has now been lifted so I could now get a class 1 medical in Europe...

If you want I can find out for you what the exact SA eyesight requirements are.

Good luck
Dirk

[This message has been edited by Dirk (edited 29 April 2001).]

Iain
29th Apr 2001, 17:12
Some one mentioned that Delta and CoEx are sponsoring. I got an e-mail in regards to this, and I highly doutb this is the case. There really is not a pilot shortage in the US, at UPS there are 9600 resumes in the pile! I am asking a mate at DL, and I will report back with what he says!
Iain

porridge
30th Apr 2001, 06:28
Refractive surgery seems to OK now with the CAA, I know at least one BA CEP who had it done. He had to wait a year, but he's in now and last I heard was just about finshed his training.
If you can't get a green card then the US will be out for you, but go there to get the refractive surgery done, cheaper and the better practices have loads of experience. Didn't have it done myself, but I've couple of close friends/relations who have and they can't stop singing the praises!
Good luck with whatever you chose

jlms
30th Apr 2001, 18:41
Dirk-> Sent you a private email but message bounced back! Do you have another address?

Thanks.

jlms

long final
1st May 2001, 00:18
uk,
email me.
LF