PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Configure a dial up connection using modem.

BoeingBoy
14th Oct 2002, 11:56
Hi all,

I have a problem with a friends puter that I have just run the WinXP service pack 1/ all critical updates disk on. (Official XP Magazine supplied it) I have run this on my own machine without ill effect.

Since installing it the dial up connection for BT has dissapeared from network connections. Trying to run the wizard to manually replace it is resulting in the wizard only allowing the connection of a broadband connection when you reach the page that say's "
Internet Connection/how do you want to connect to the internet".

The options for connection using a 'modem/connect using a broadband that is always on' are both greyed out and not selectable.

Running the BT installation disk is no help, and as some other windows corruptions were evident (Not able to view window components in add/remove programs) we ran the winXP installation disk on upgrade. That seems to have cured the corruption in add/remove programs but not the dial up wizard.

Have tried system restore as far back as Sep2001 but to no avail. Before we head for the 'restore factory settings' disk has anyone any idea's?

Device Manager shows no hardware anomalies, and all other progs seem to be OK.

Details are Medion puter running a P4 1.6/256mbRAM/80gbHD/WinXPhome(OEM) now upgraded and activated as a personal copy

Thanks in anticipation.

BlueEagle
14th Oct 2002, 12:11
Uninstall SP1? If you have been doing regular updates anyway not all of it is needed.

BoeingBoy
14th Oct 2002, 13:21
Don't think it's in there any more since the last restore was back to a pre SP1 status. Also one presumes the re-installation of XP would have over written most of it?

Apparently Medion say that this is the second report in two days and only a full return to factory settings cured it. However I presume it's a registry corruption so one would hope it could be cured. But where do you start to look?

Thanks anyway BE.

BlueEagle
14th Oct 2002, 22:50
If you go to this site:

http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/shtml/software.shtml

you will see that the second item down is a registry cleaner, might be worth a try?

Best of luck!:)