PDA

View Full Version : SA Airforce Rescue Exercise Went Wrong

Gunship
14th Oct 2002, 07:36
News 24 Link (http://www.news24.com/News24/Africa/Central_Africa/0,1113,2-11-39_1271100,00.html)
Second SA soldier drowned

Sapa and Erika Gibson

Pretoria - The body of a second South African soldier was found on Sunday after three soldiers went missing during a water training exercise in Burundi, the SA National Defence Force (SANDF) said.

SANDF spokesperson Major Niko Allie said the search for the two missing soldiers would continue. Allie could not name the dead man, as his next of kin have not yet been informed.

The SANDF said on Friday a number of soldiers were taking part in an airborne extraction exercise at a river near Bujumbura around 9:30. Ten of them were acting as victims in the water, waiting to be hoisted by an Oryx helicopter of the SA Air Force.

"Six were safely hoisted up. The remaining four apparently disappeared under the water," SANDF headquarters said in a statement.

The body of one soldier was recovered on Friday.

Defence force scouts and navy divers - part of the joint forces in Bujumbura - and soldiers of the Burundi defence force's water wing have been searching in boats on the Rusizi river since Friday afternoon.

All the soldiers involved were members of the VIP protection force in Bujumbura. The force is made up of soldiers from several units countrywide.

Jan van Eck, a political analyst and Burundi expert, says the river is currently flowing very strong, as it is the rainy season in this area.

Hippos and crocodiles

Apart from deceptive undercurrents, the river, which flows into Lake Tanganjika at the city, is also very dangerous due to its many hippos and crocodiles.

He says that ironically enough, the river has claimed the lives of many refugees and rebels, as it is one of the major infiltration and escape routes between Burundi and the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

The South Africans often conduct similar river exercises as part of their preparations for emergency evacuation.

The defence force has launched an investigation into the causes of the accident. The names of the deceased and his comrades are being withheld until all their next of kin have been informed.

Head of the defence force General Siphiwe Nyanda has expressed his shock regarding the tragedy and conveyed his condolences to the families.

This is the third fatal incident since the South African protection force was deployed in Burundi in November last year.

A finance clerk was murdered in January, presumably as a result of a dispute over money. A corporal was shot in self-defence by a comrade in February after the corporal opened fire on a senior officer.

Two soldiers of 7 SA Infantry Battalion in Phalaborwa were wounded in a mortar attack by rebels in August. - Beeld and Sapa

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Also related :

SANDF: Third soldier found

Pretoria - The body of a third South African soldier was found on Sunday after one soldier drowned and three went missing during a water training exercise in Burundi, the SA National Defence Force (SANDF) said.

SANDF spokesperson Colonel John Rolt said one body had been found on Friday immediately after the accident, and two on Sunday. The search for the last missing soldier - presumed drowned - would continue.

Rolt could not name the dead men, as their next of kin have not yet been informed.

The SANDF said on Friday a number of soldiers were taking part in an airborne extraction exercise at a river near Bujumbura about 09:30. Ten of them were acting as victims in the water, waiting to be hoisted by an SA Air Force helicopter.

"Six were safely extracted. The remaining four apparently disappeared under the water," SANDF headquarters said in a statement.

Yossarian
14th Oct 2002, 10:25
Sounds like the exercise got a tad too realistic.

Gunship
14th Oct 2002, 11:31
We Africans will know that you do not throw a black African in water. It is a fact that just about no blacks can swim. We have lost numerous black soldiers over the years in "swimming accidents". I can not remember the books name but it was written by Peter Stiff re the South African special forces (recce's). In it a few times it was mentioned how operations was compromised / failed / did not go on when a black soldier could not swim or drowned.

This really comes as NO surprise as i am sure these soldiers where not dropped in the lake with a pair of Speedo's - but rather with heavvy equipment ?

In the old SANDF Black Recce soldiers was never send to 4 Recce (Langebaanweg - water rates type) only now - I really hope they can make swimmers out of them.

I do not wanna start rumours or ANY racist remarks - or that my words seem like racism - I am serious (for a change).

A sad moment in our SA Airforce / "new SANDF " history - again ...:mad:

The Claw
14th Oct 2002, 18:11
The book is called, "The Silent War".

I can't really speak for South African blacks, but it is certainly true of Zambians!? Very strange, but true. :confused:

Paddle Steamer
15th Oct 2002, 02:56
Hi
It seems that more and more of these incidents are going to occur as the new SANDF gets involved in the Central African disputes and Peacekeeping excercises. The escalation factor is there and as "African soultions for Africa's problems" is the BUZZ word, see how more troops and equipment and money comes from SA. I really hope the SAAF keeps it standards but being away from home is a new experience and things tend to SLIP.

"Four turning and Burning"

ps; Went to Bali on a casevac and it was not pretty. Memories of a long distant past.

Gunship
17th Oct 2002, 09:33
Thanks The Claw ... that is the correct book.

Paddle Streamer, it is sincerely my wish as well that the standards are kept up, but looking at my other post re "10 Fighter pilots remaining" . A sad story indeed (again) :mad: