PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Stateside Please Help

G-SPOTs Lost
13th Oct 2002, 23:37
Please help!

I have the following:

UK CAA Multi CPL/IR, Unrestricted Instructors rating with Instrument & Night instructors Restrictions Lifted.

1000 Hours - 800hrs p1 mainly instructional.

FAA PPL issued on the back of my UK PPL back in 1999, I also completed a land multi rating in the states so my US PPL reads (US Test Passed).

I need a FAA CPL/IR!!!

please outline the likely training required for somebody who is very current IFR and in instruction with average ability. any minimum requirements? The ground exams I can do over here.

Is it true to say I can have a FAA IR issued on the back of my JAR IR just with a ground exam??

Be very grateful for any help

Thanx!

slim_slag
14th Oct 2002, 03:06
Hi

I'll stick my head out.....

Is it true to say I can have a FAA IR issued on the back of my JAR IR just with a ground exam??

Yes. FAR 61.75(d) Instrument ratings issued. A person who holds an instrument rating on the foreign pilot license issued by a contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation may be issued an instrument rating on a U.S. private pilot certificate provided:

(1) The person's foreign pilot license authorizes instrument privileges;

(2) Within 24 months preceding the month in which the person applies for the instrument rating, the person passes the appropriate knowledge test; and

(3) The person is able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language. If the applicant is unable to meet one of these requirements due to medical reasons, then the Administrator may place such operating limitations on that applicant's pilot certificate as are necessary for the safe operation of the aircraft. But, and I don't know whether this is relevant, FAR 61.75 (b)(3) says..... A person who holds a current foreign pilot license issued by a contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation may be issued a private pilot certificate based on the foreign pilot license without any further showing of proficiency, provided the applicant:
(3) Does not currently hold a U.S. pilot certificate;So I'm not sure whether your existing PP-AMEL rating means you cannot add an IR on the strength of your JAA IR. You need to call a FSDO.

If you cannot get a FAA IR issued on the strength of your JAA IR, the requirements are set out in FAR 61.65, what you would be most concerned with is 15 hours with an authorised (i.e FAA) instructor. FAR 61.65 (d)(2)(i)

please outline the likely training required for somebody who is very current IFR and in instruction with average ability. any minimum requirements?

Minumum requirements for issuance of Commercial certificate under part 61 are set out in FAR 61.129.

You will need to get an FAA CFI to sign you off as ready for the test, and as if you fail it looks worse on his/her record than yours, you might end up doing a few hours to convince him/her you are up to it. If you look at the Commercial Practical Test Standards (ftp://av-info.faa.gov/data/practicalteststandard/faa-s-8081-12b.pdf) with your instructors hat on, and knowing your own flying better than anybody else, how long do you think it would take for you to sign off an applicant of your ability?

You might find this (http://www.faa.gov/avr/afs/flightinstruction/n8700-15.htm) and FAR 61 (http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/cfrhtml_00/Title_14/14cfr61_00.html) of interest too. Give the FAA a phone call, they are extremely helpful and have a good customer service attitude, you will quickly get to talk to an inspector who will answer your questions.

have fun.

GoneWest
15th Oct 2002, 13:01
Well - I would say "NO you cannot" - as your question asked about having an FAA I/R added by passing a written exam.

The "IFP" written exam (Instrument - Foreign Pilot) was in place to allow you to prove knowledge of FAA IFR rules and procedures - and then have you JAA I/R flight skills validated for use in Federal airspace - but it is NOT an FAA I/R.

FWA NATCA
15th Oct 2002, 17:33
As you can see you will get various answers, I highly reccomend that you contact one of the FSDO (Flight Standards District Offices) and talk with one of the FSDO people who will give you the correct answer (at least I hope they can). There might be a link from the FAA web site.

Mike

GoneWest
15th Oct 2002, 17:58
Here's a FSDO link for you - Orlando (http://www.faa.gov/fsdo/orl/index.cfm) .

They do more foreign training/conversions than any FAA office.

The guy to track down in particular, is Larry Enlow.

It's his job.

G-SPOTs Lost
15th Oct 2002, 23:37
Cheers Guys

I have E mailed the FSDO in Orlando asking the Question.

Thankyou for all your help.

G-SPOTs Lost
16th Oct 2002, 20:21
Hello again

Sorry seemed to have mailed the general FAA central office somewhere and got this reply:

Please contact FAA's website, @ www.faa.gov/avr/afs., or you may contact the General Aviation and Commercial Branch, @ 202-267-8212, for assistance.

has anybody got an E mail address for Mr Larry Enlow?

I can always phone but if your FAA is the same as our CAA its always better to get something in writing.

Im getting conflicting advice from the UK FAA groundschools as well so any further help would again be very welcome.

Thankyou for your patience guys

slim_slag
18th Oct 2002, 21:20
G-SPOTs

I should stop sticking my head out. Not only did it get whacked with a split hair :D , but I think I got the endorsement bit wrong too.

FAR 61.39(c)(1) says you are not required to comply with FAR 61.39(a)(6) because you hold a foreign-pilot license issued by an ICAO State which authorises at least the pilot privileges of the airman certificate you are seeking.

So according to this, you don't need an endorsement. I'd ask the FAA, and I'm off down the pub where I at least usually know what I am doing half the time. :)

You do realise that you will be expected to know the FAR/AIM inside out when you have your oral. The CP oral is not a cakewalk.

faacfi
18th Oct 2002, 21:42
no, you have to pass the written IFR and commercial check ride IFR on a multi engine for a multi IFR CPL.
there is no min hours.must be sign off by a CFII,MEI.
count around 5-10 hours multi and 2500 dollars.
i can sign u off for the written if you need it, for some pocket money in exchange.(i have to survive too)

write me if u need more info.
[email protected]

GoneWest
18th Oct 2002, 23:07
G-spot - forgive me but I couldn't help but laugh when I found the answer to your question.

Larry Enlow works for the FAA - a department of the Federal Government as they like to say (though I haven't found any non-Federal Government to confuse it with).....so I looked at the Orlando Website, clicked the link for Office Personnel and read....

[email protected]

We do a lot of work together, but he will not know the pprune name.

Best of luck....oh, by the way, the FAA will answer the telephone (that's their job - hence their phrase "Hi, I'm from the FAA - I'm here to help you").

From a "jet blast" point of view :D they also have two other phrases that they use when in a good mood...

"I'm from the FAA - and we are not happy until you are not happy"...or

"I'm from the FAA - we've upped our standards - so up yours"

G-SPOTs Lost
18th Oct 2002, 23:20
Mr Enlow has now been duly E mailed

Thankyou Gonewest and all others who have helped

Slim_Slag no problem mate, you must have an interesting story to tell being as you are obviously familiar things FAA but still call a pub a pub!

Gonewest did you originate from somewhere East of Your present position???!!! ;)

Once again thankyou for all your help, will publish the reply from Mr Enlow to finish the Thread off....

Cheers chaps......

G-SPOTs Lost
23rd Oct 2002, 07:28
Did say I would post the reply from the FAA and here it is for anybody wanting to fly a bizjet(N or VP tailed) in the Uk this is good stuff.

To have your CAA Instrument Rating added to your U.S. Restricted Private Certificate, you must satisfactorily complete the U.S. "Instrument Foreign Pilot" Knowledge Test, and present the results of such test, in person, to any U.S. FAA Flight Standards District Office. However, a new, additional requirement has recently been placed upon holders of foreign pilot licenses wishing to obtain an original U.S. Private Pilot License based on their foreign certificate, or to persons wishing to add a rating to an existing U.S. Private Pilot Certificate based on a foreign license. This new requirement is called "verification of authenticity" of the foreign license, wherein the holder of a foreign license must have their foreign pilot certificate verified by the country of issuance prior to obtaining or adding to a U.S. Restricted Certificate. To comply with this requirement, you must apply to the U.S. FAA Airman Certification Branch in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

SO WHERE IS THE NEAREST FSDO - PLEASE DONT SAY TAMPA??!!

Once again thanks for all your help

Hope this works the required form is Here (http://registry.faa.gov/docs/verify61-75.pdf)