PDA

View Full Version : Costa Rica

huntsman
13th Oct 2002, 01:30
Could someone please let me know which licenses may be flown on in Costa Rica - privately and commercially?
I'm an aussie.

thanks

Panama Jack
13th Oct 2002, 12:42
Not sure I understand your question. Yes, you need a Costa Rican Private license to fly a Costa Rican registered aircraft privately, just like any other country. Need a Commercial or ATP to fly it commercially, plus a few other things.

huntsman
13th Oct 2002, 21:04
sorry Panama,

do i need to convert my Aussie CPL to a Costa Rican CPL (i thought it may be FAA) to fly commercially?

similarly, will my aust PVT need conversion or will it be recognised for PVT flying within CR?

and while i'm at it, are there any training operations there, or planes available for hire?

cheers

Panama Jack
15th Oct 2002, 01:56
In order to fly there for hire, you need to be a Costa Rican citizen. Have a friend who is Panamanian and his wife is a Tica, but no dice.

Oportunities for training or aircraft hire would be found at the Tobias Bolaņos airport in San Jose. This is the GA airport. I understand that you do need to convert to a CR license to fly privately and this is simply an administrative procedure. There are a few schools on that field last time I was there.

Always Moving
4th Nov 2002, 22:01
Ok here it goes!

first you HAVE to Know spanish
then after getting your permanent residency, not earlyer, no papers no licences not even starting.
Any ICAO state member will give you on a private or higer licence a licence of the country you visit by paperwork.
Any other licence you have to do a flying test and a written test, some countrys is easy like canada, US, Costa ricaalso is one of the easy one europe is a bitch to convert.
You can make it there by teaching a bit a MAY be flying a bit of turist but that is a bout it.
they are very racist there they seam at first very nice but watch your back there.
I live a few years there and I love the expirience I got, not from flying thu, but I only find like 4 people of the whole country worth while.
PS doable but carefull, and last time I talk with friends they said it is going down