View Full Version : Can my British family sponsor me for passport?

uwochris
12th Aug 2001, 01:26
Hey guys!

How's everything going? The weather here in Canada is really hot right now (over 100F!) but the sun has been out since the summer began! :)

Anyway, I have a question regarding obtaining a British (or EU) passport.

First of all, I have family all over Europe: France, Holland, England, and Switzerland. They are all aunts, uncles, and cousins. My mother was born in Holland, but no longer has her Dutch passport.

If I was ever interested in applying to BA (or any other European carrier), could I get a relative to sponsor me? I have an aunt, uncle, and some cousins in Callstock(sp?), England. Could they sponsor me for a EU passport? If not, what is the best way?

Ideally, I'd prefer to stay in Canada for the long run, that is unless I got a job I really enjoyed. I'm still a University student (3 yrs left), and will begin my flight training in September (can't wait!). I would love to fly in Europe to build some experience, and perhaps, make a career out of it. If I did get in, how does BA regard pilots who did not go through their cadet program (ie- Direct Entry/ off-the-street)?

Thanks a lot for the help guys! Don't spend too much time in those pubs! Save your energy fot the World Cup! This time, Holland will prevail!! :) ;)

scroggs
12th Aug 2001, 02:58
I'm not certain of the rules, but if your mother is still an EU citizen, you may well be entitled to an EU passport. Maybe even if she isn't!
You should talk to the embassy or consulate for the EU country you think you may be most entitled to a passport for - probably Holland. They will tell you exactly what the requirements are, and whether or not you can get the right to live and work in the EU.

stevieskywalker
12th Aug 2001, 18:27
uwochris,

Hi, can't comment on rules for specific countries but,

1. I think that the UK thing is a non-starter, immigration rules are quite tight now, mariage and even being born in the UK no longer automatically qualifies you for a UK passport.

2. I applied for my second EU passport (Irish) a few years back on the basis that my father was Irish, and found it quite straight forward. I imagine that it would be a similar case for you applying for a Dutch passport. I belive that the Italians only recognise the male line for immigration purposes but I expect the Netherlands authorities to be a bit more progressive in their attitude.

Anyway, whatever your choice about the future I would recommend you apply for a EU passport, if only to make travel to and around Europe easier and less hassel.

Good luck.

trolleydollylover
12th Aug 2001, 19:32
There is a bloke I once met, who knows all that there is to know about passport requests, try him on
[email protected] ;)