View Full Version : Oh NO! Not the 'too old..?' subject again....

big.al
11th Aug 2001, 21:16
Ok, so I've seen this subject on here a few times, and for those experienced 'pruners' this may be becoming a tiresome subject. But for those wannabes amongst us (for which this forum is designed) please can we have some honest replies from those who have actually been there, done it and worn the tee-shirt etc.

I'm looking for advice / answers from those thrity-somethings (when they started out) out there who actually took the plunge and have made it (or not, as the case may be) into the right-hand seat.

So a few questions;

1) how old were you when you started?
2) how old when you reached frozen ATPL?
3) what route did you take?
4) how much did it actually cost?
5) how tough was it to find work afterwards?
6) has age caused you (personally) any difficulties, or has it made things easier?
7) how the hell did you finance it, and convince the wife/partner/pets to put up with it all?
8) would you do anything different, with hindsight, and would you recommend 'the struggle' to others?

I could go on for days, but I'm hoping that others will. And please can we have true accounts from other people who have tried rather than 'helpful' comments from those who really haven't been in this difficult situation (i.e. trying to decide whether to pack-in a well paid career in order to achieve a life-long dream).

Thanks in advance, and sorry for bringing this up yet again!

(PS - currently 32, doing PPL and night rating next April in Florida, and then... we'll see).

Bigscotdaddy
11th Aug 2001, 21:50
At 32 you have plenty time left to enjoy a long and successful career in flying!
I started my commercial training at 42, having been made redundant(which gave me the cash I needed) and my total experience was a couple of hundred hours PPL time.
That was 12 years ago, (and in a recession) and many people maybe thought me rather optimistic - but you have to be positive in this business or you'll give up!
I'm now in the left seat of a Turbo-prop enjoying every minute! I may never make it onto Jets now at my age - but who cares!
But in your case you have loads of time.
I did it the long way, as an instructor, but however you find the finance, if you're keen, go and do it. Your age won't be too much of a problem, (I fly with several first officers over 30 who started flying a couple of years ago).
You're best bet if you can afford it, would be to borrow the money and do an approved course at a school with a decent reputation, then apply to everyone you ever heard of, but be prepared to start with smaller commuter type aircraft as your best way of getting a foot on the ladder.
Good luck.

northern boy
12th Aug 2001, 16:11
Big Al,
in response to your questions,

1)35
2)35
3)PPL followed by BCPL then BCPL Upgrade
4)God Knows. Including all PPL flying about 50K
5)About 2 months from finishing ATPL exams.At the end of the last recession!
6)Not at all
7)See 4 above.Beg,borrow and steal.
8)No, yes!

All the best of luck mate.Wish I was 32 again.
Wouldnt change anything but Im going to have a lot of grey hair by the time I see the LHS.

Hugh Jampton
14th Aug 2001, 23:07
bigal
1) 39
2) Went BCPL/CPL/ATPL - 45
3) Modular CPL/IR Self Sponsored
4) Total about £35k
5) Easier than I though - had lots of contacts as I worked in the industry though
6) No not so far - sometimes maturity is an asset.
7) Managed to make some money via a company and hours building became necessary biz travel - tricky but when you are determined....
8) I maybe would have gone from PPL to BCPL a bit earlier - but if I had not done it at all I think I would have gone to my grave kicking myself - so no - don't regret a thing. :cool:

mint
19th Aug 2001, 15:06
Thanks for the questions,
and the answers!
It all helps for us wannabes I'm 36 and a little way into my ppl, I'm probably going to go the 'modular' route so I can keep earning the requisite money to train.
Good Luck to all you Wannabes :)

cubby
19th Aug 2001, 20:24
Big al
I'm 32
Last year I sold my house , gave away my dog and moved my wife and I in to a friends house . I never had a career as such but worked on the shop floor in a large factory working shifts for about £30,000 a year with overtime . It was a slog but a job for life if you wanted it .
On the long 12hour night shift I would wonder if I had what it takes to do the ATPLs.I had no great academic history but I had passed my PPL quite well (48hours) and I could not think of any other subject that I new more about than aeroplanes as I have always been a bit of an anorak where it comes to WW2 fighters and bombers and the RAF etc.etc.
So with my wifes total support I said Bollox to it and Ive gone for it.
I have now passed 11 Jar ATPL exams since febuary . There have been some hard times but never once have I or my wife regretted the decision we made .
I did a full time course and the ages of the other students in my class were 42,36,32,29,23,21,19.
The first 4 of us were self funders the others had very understanding parents .
I would like to be in jets by the time I'm 40 but first I want to go have some fun flying . I was very very bored in my old job and after spending £30'000 I never want to be bored again in any thing I do .
No regrets

Cubby..

cubby
19th Aug 2001, 20:36
Oh and just a post note
1.When I said full time I ment modular.

2. I think this is a good intrest subject but at the end of your day you must do what you really want and it does not matter how anyone else got there , because I seriously think this whole aviation thing is a state of mind ,
and dont call me Sigmond.

3. The hardest thing I have done thus far had nothing to do with aviation but was to give my best friend away and his name was Smudge. I am still not over it but like I said It's a state of mind.
Sorry to waffle
Cubby.

Pilot Pete
19th Aug 2001, 22:06
Couldn't be bothered to answer all in order......read for yourself! http://www.pprune.org/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=010430

PP :)

Towering Q
20th Aug 2001, 07:06
Cubby...I'm concerned...why did Smudge have to go? I wouldn't give Furgal away to fly jets.