PDA

View Full Version : Smartmedia Card Reader

roach
12th Oct 2002, 12:50
I have just bought a smart card reader and am having problems with it, can anyone help?
Using W98 and loaded the driver that came with the card reader OK. The correct symbol is now on “ My Computer “. I know the USB port works because power is getting to the card reader but when I put a smart card in the reader and try to access it I get the error message F:\ is not accessible, the device is not ready.
I am stuck!

A separate problem relates to reading a website with .pfd, I have Arobat Reader 5 but I keep getting a blank screen with a very small symbol at the top left and a message “ the plugin was not successful “

Nightrider
12th Oct 2002, 14:32
First to the Acrobat problem...version 5 is the correct one these days. Hope I spotted only a typo, Acrobat Reader can only read *.PDF files, not PFD files....
Try to search on your computer, there are more PDF files, can you open them? There maybe a problem with the site or even with the files you want to see on that site.

Your card reader....the software for it, is that for W98? Go to the manufacturers website and download the correct version....I am not convinced that W98 is included in your basic system requirements of the reader.

Almost forgot, since you are talking about W98 as your system software...what kind of USB port do you have? I am somehow certain that your system is pre 2000 and will have USB 1.0 port(s)...and your card reader may only be USB 2.0 compatible...which may be acchieved if you fit an expansion card to your PC with USB 2.0 ports on it, but that is another story.

Squiddley
15th Oct 2002, 08:36
Make sure you install the SOFTware before the HARDware, and be sure it's the latest release. I had the same sounding problem with an Olympus SM card reader. Uninstalling the hardware through the device manager, then removing the software and rebooting solved the problem. There is also a USB fix from Micro$oft for Win98 machines, so a visit to windowsupdate.com would be advisable.

As USB 2.0 is fully backwards compatible with USB 1.0 & 1.1, there shouldn't be any problems with using non-USB2.0 hardware with such adapters.

Hope you get it sorted.

fobotcso
18th Oct 2002, 19:50
If it's a Sitecom SmartCard reader, you may be destined for disappointment. I sent mine back to the supplier and got my money back without protest.

My Jenoptik SmartCard reader works perfectly on Win2000.

Check your Device Manager so see if any errors are reported.