PDA

View Full Version : Anti Virus Programmes

BlueDiamond
12th Oct 2002, 02:37
Please excuse me if this has been posted before, I don't visit this forum very often. I have been told that only one virus protection programme should be installed on a PC. If more than one is used, they apparently "fight" with each other and/or become ineffective.

Could anyone advise me on this ... is the information correct or just some sort of computer myth??

Thanks, Bluey (Computer Retard)

flybhx
12th Oct 2002, 06:30
Bluey,

As far as I'm aware that is correct.

RadarContact
12th Oct 2002, 17:43
They do even worse things to each other and to your system. Choose soon which one you like better and dump the other one...

BlueDiamond
13th Oct 2002, 01:32
Thanks Flybhx and RadarContact ... I am using only one and have never had a moment's trouble but I have a friend who is using three and whose computer has been badly "virused".

I would imagine that in order to fight a virus, the programme must first be given the information about that virus through updates etc. (my own is updated every four days). If you then have another anti virus programme running, it would not "understand" that this was information only and not the virus itself and therefore try to destroy it. Thus you end up with the programmes attacking each other believing that what they're dealing with is viruses.

Would that be how it works ... or something like that?? I'd like to be able to explain it to some friends without getting technical.

Thanks for the assistance people ... much appreciated.

BlueRobin
15th Oct 2002, 15:21
Uh, nevermind the co-ordination of the virus checkers, what about the speed impact on the system? One is bad enough, but three? :eek:

Stick to one efficient, easy-to-use and functional AV package.