PDA

View Full Version : jumpseats in the caribbean

mkeelan
11th Oct 2002, 22:36
does any one know if it is possible to get a jumpseat in the caribbean with a uniform & company ID? if so which are the best places to get a jumpseat out of - jamaica? SXM? Antigua? etc.

i know it's always the captains decision, just wondering if there were policies in place for or against it (like the US).

cheers:cool:

nungry
13th Oct 2002, 02:00
mkeelan - the Dash 8 operators usually don't have a problem with it, but the biggest problem is getting through security at some of the airports. Some let you straight through, others need to see your name on a manifest. Blame Sep 11 for that. You won't be able to get one back to the states, but inter island in the Eastern Caribbean was not a problem. A mate got one from Trinidad to LHR a couple of months ago. If you're not actually working for anyone in the Carib, you'll need to say that you're going for an interview or something to the Captain. With Liat and Bwee, you just have to go and ask the Captain, but Caribbean Star need to issue you a ticket, so you have to go and chase the Captain, go back to the ticketing counter, to get a ticket issed, and than back out to the ramp. Either way, I found the crews on all the airlines extremely accomadating and always willing to try and help out. Didn't get as far over as Jamacia, so can't comment on that, but that was my experience in the Eastern Caribbean. Trying to escape the upcoming Calgary winter eh??

mkeelan
14th Oct 2002, 18:41
nungry - much thanks for the info. no jobs up in this winter wonderland at the moment, so time to head back south where the sun is always shining, and the rum is cheap....

anyone know if it's possible to ride with Air Jamaica (not to the US of course)?

nungry
15th Oct 2002, 00:37
You should be able to - gave a ride to an Air Jamaica FO in the mighty Islander one day!!