View Full Version : Another Wannabe Cannabe

E-Fizz
27th Apr 2001, 15:12
Oh well, just got the news from the CAA - I'm a risk to everyone because I had a single convulsion more than five years ago. (My interperetation of their words). Medical will be denied.

I can come back in five years and have another go. I'm 34 now so not too sure that this is going to happen. I've also been informed that I may only fly as a passenger.

I can't stress this point enough - before paying a penny: GET YOUR MEDICAL.

Goodbye all - happy flying ... ...

Over an' out.

RVR800
27th Apr 2001, 15:19
Sorry to hear..

Was the reason for the convulsion not
bottomed out ?

There must be a right of appeal if this
is so ?

Polar_stereographic
27th Apr 2001, 15:27
I'm amazed that they are not sued more often. I guess it goes some way to explaining why the airlines invariably get their way - ie money.

FireDragon
27th Apr 2001, 15:55
E-Fizz

APPEAL!!!

Are you epileptic, or is your problem a random one? For example, I know that an epileptic having seizures/convulsions, may not drive a car UNTIL they have been free of such 'fits' for 2 years.

With this in mind, surely there must be some similar rule for flying.

Get another opinion - see a neurologist if necessary, (privately if you can, for speed), and get him/her to write you out a report detailing the fact you have been convulsion free for 5 years.

Best of luck

FD

Eff Oh
27th Apr 2001, 18:06
E-FIZZ: I am really sorry to hear that. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif Every time I read one of these I feel for the person. As was mentioned above, try a Consultant. Ask the CAA what they would say to an independent examination. You never know.... All the best with it mate, I hope it works out in the end!
Eff Oh.

E-Fizz
27th Apr 2001, 18:07
The let down hasn't sunk in yet. I feel very angry about the situation and my grounds of appeal are being reduced. The problem lies with the way the JAA rules are worded. There is a clause highlighting seizures and a section that says a single event with a 'non-recurrent' cause 'may' be allowed. This is me - the cause was bottomed out and found to be non-recurrent. The problem lies with the word 'may'. Any place this word occurs I will bet my bottom dollar the CAA translation will be 'wont'.

After the incident I was seen by a professor of neurology at one of the most respected hospitals dealing with this field in the country. I subsequently passed all the tests he instructed me to undergo. Although he instructed me not to drive for one year, he was happy to discharge me without prescribing anti-convulsant drugs and all the other unfortunate restricions that would go with being a 'diagnosed epileptic'. Of course, aviation neurology is different...

The DVLA will remove a HGV license for ten years in the event of an epileptic seizure. Although I can't find any section where the same is written in the JAA/CAA rules, the CAA seem to have decided to adopt this clause as well.

As the case isn't black and white I think an appeal will be very difficult. When it comes down to conjecture the CAA are going to win - of this I have no doubt.

(Edited to add comment to Ef Oh - thanks a lot for the reply mate, it means a lot. Happy flying)

[This message has been edited by E-Fizz (edited 27 April 2001).]

FireDragon
27th Apr 2001, 19:02
E-Fizz

Sorry, didn't realise that you had gone quite so far down the line with regards to trying to get your medical. One point:-

I assumed that you were trying for a class 1 medical - is this the case, or was it a class 2?

Reason I'm asking is because obviously, they are stricter with the class 1.

On the 'may be' subject, I too was for quite a while under the 'may' be granted a certificate cloud, but came out on top, (re class 2). If you want further details, I could e-mail you.

So, don't give up just yet - JAA is constantly undergoing review, you never know

FD

E-Fizz
27th Apr 2001, 19:23
FD

I haven't received the official letter yet, just had a drawn out telephone conversation with the CAA doc who told me the bad news this morning. I wanted Class 1. I believe from what the doc told me that I am also excluded from flying solo in any aircraft. I can only conclude from this that I am also excluded from being able to hold Class 2. I haven't got the official reply in my possesion yet so I must tread carefully on what I say, but I hope you get the picture. I'd very much like to hear of your experiences FD, please email me: [email protected]

FireDragon
27th Apr 2001, 19:48
E-Fizz

E-mail sent

FD

DeltaTango
27th Apr 2001, 20:46
Sorry to sound corny fizz, but it'll be a damn shame to give up, so don't/

Sorry to hear it ....all the best of luck to you.